Living with the Classics

March 8, 2024/Midnight 

Erie Pa., –Growing up music was always playing and often influenced the mood of the occasion. I have vivid memories of listening to Jimmy Buffet and Shania Twain depending on which of my parents I was spending time with. 

These moments helped to create a music lover out of me. I enjoy experiencing new types of music as well as returning to the classics. I have explained to friends and family that they can play “whatever music they want” around me as I have a variety of tastes. I wouldn’t say that my music taste is niche by any means just overly broad.  

One moment I will be enjoying the folk voice of Noah Kahan and the next I will be dancing with my friends to Fergie. The opportunities for good times are endless with the right playlist. One genre that I feel is not appreciated enough is my love for classical music. 

Now when I say classical music what comes to some people’s minds are Bach and Vivaldi and those guys. Guess what, that’s what I think of too.  

However, I have expanded my musical horizons to include film scores. “He’s a Pirate,” “Romantic Flight,” “La Valse de L’Amour” are some of my favorite film scores. The movies are Pirates of the Caribbean, How to Train Your Dragon and the live action Cinderella, respectively.  

These pieces of music propel their films forward invoking emotions and emphasizing the ability for music to create an encompassing experience for viewers. 

The ability for music to change the tone and mood of a movie is magical. It’s like watching Friends without the laugh track, aka a completely distinct experience.  

Composers spend years of their lives creating music that doesn’t seem to have much influence over today’s society. However, individuals such as Cody Fry use popular culture to add a special lilt to their music. His cover of the Beetle’s Song Elenor Rigby when viral on Tik Tok a few years ago.  

Hearing his music on the popular platform had renewed my fascination with how people can create masterpieces that are awe-inspiring to listen to no matter your age.  

Another artist that shares classical music in a modern way is Lindsey Sterling. Sterling combines the art of classical music and electrical dance music (EDM) to create a blend of music like no other.  

Sterling grew up as a ballet dancer and got her start on America’s Got Talent and grew her brand of classical dance music exponentially.  

If you are curious, I would recommend looking at either of these artists to explore the genre in a way that is a little more upbeat.  

And, if you’re more like me and want to dive into classic classical music Paul Cardall has a piece called Gracie’s Theme that, for me, captures the concept of peace perfectly.  

Another modern classical composer that I enjoy is named Ezio Bosso, specifically his piece entitled “Rain, in Your Black Eyes” takes me on a journey. 

These composers are fantastic! I encourage you to investigate these and find some of your own. Listening to classical music is useful for studying and so much more!