Stressed? Me too

Erie, Pa — With a full course load, feelings of stress and anxiety can quickly become overbearing. The best ways to get through these emotions would be to find ways to decompress. 

Through trial and error, I have found the methods of stress release that work best for me. There is no right way to feel better. Some things that your friend swears by could make your own problems or stressors worse.  

For example, while one friend may consider a walk to be the best way to clear their head, another person may think that a nap would work better.  

Here I describe different methods I have used to relax and how they have benefited my mental health through the tough school days. 

Being an introvert, recharging my social battery is one of my priorities after a stressful day. I have found that taking time just for myself can be a fantastic method of releasing tension from a long day.  

How I have chosen to spend that time varies. It could be trying to find a new show to binge, a book to read or a new hobby to try.  

Taking a more active role in relieving stress works wonders as well. Personally, I have found that taking a walk around the neighborhood or Gannon’s campus out in the fresh air clears my mind. Another active role could be meditation or yoga to relax your mind and body.  

For those of us with a spare notebook page or two, I would recommend my personal favorite method of getting out of my head—the brain dump. Now you may ask yourself, Brain dump? Allow me to explain. 

When you are swimming in a list of things to do sometimes your head can get a bit cluttered. I have found that setting a 3–5-minute timer and grabbing a pen and paper to write down everything that comes to mind helps me to think more clearly. 

At first it may feel stupid or pointless, but my answer would be to write those thoughts down too. With nothing but two-word phrases on your paper, managing to get any words out of your head makes room for things that are priorities.  

A different way that I have used to release stress has been to take a drive. With or without company, music, and the windows down while driving on the bayfront has become a great way to release the pressure that the semester can put on students.  

For those of us with that one song on repeat, I would also recommend putting together a playlist or two. You could have songs, podcasts or even background noise such as the rain or the crashing of waves. 

Music can be a stress reliever in many ways whether it’s singing your heart out, listening passively, or finding inspiration for your next project. If you are anything like me, you have playlists for each one of those.  

Of course, the option that is always available would be to talk to someone. The title of someone can be given to your best friend, a therapist, or even the professor whose been stressing you out a bit too much. Talking to someone is another great way to clear your head of all the stress and worry so you can focus.  

If these methods aren’t for you there are many others that could be better. Finding moments of peace from the pressure of school can be necessary to do your best. Managing your stress can make life easier, and if it becomes too much finding people who are available to help becomes a priority. 

Gannon’s Counseling Services is an on-campus resource available for students to use. Providing in-person and online opportunities, the counseling center is open from 8 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. and outside of these times by appointment.  

As I heard recently from a friend, “The way only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.” College is our elephant, and we must take it one bite at a time.