A Reflection on The Total Eclipse

April 12, 2024/Midnight 

Monday’s solar eclipse demonstrated the indescribable beauty of nature and how a single moment could unite the entire country, at least for a few minutes. 

On Monday, April 8th, America had a chance to witness one of the most spectacular natural phenomena: the solar eclipse. This celestial event not only captivated the attention of numerous news outlets but also became the main topic of countless conversations nationwide. As one of the few locations situated on the totality path, Erie attracted thousands of people from across the country to witness this once-in-a-lifetime moment. 

Thanks to the event, what was once ordinary transformed into extraordinary. Parks and stadiums turned into bustling gathering places, and gas stations became pit stops selling all kinds of eclipse-themed merchandise. Everything seemed busier just for a single moment. 

From where I stood, people began passing glasses from hand to hand while all gazes fixed for one historic moment. 

Minutes before the event, a sense of excitement rippled through the crowd as hundreds of people cheered with their friends or family. In a fleeting moment, I felt the pure joy of the people standing next to me and an overflow of carefree happiness. Suddenly, it seemed like a forecast of heavy clouds was the only major threat. 

The eclipse had passed over America, but it might leave a lasting impression on the viewers’ minds: a sense of pure joy and optimism that we rarely experience in such turbulent times. I might have been mesmerized by the alluring beauty of the shining circumference around the sun, but it’s the sense of unity that makes the impression last. The beauty of the solar eclipse not only lies in aesthetic pictures or its rarity but in the emotional waves that arose in me, and in the hundreds of people standing with me at that very moment. 

As a first-time viewer, what impressed me was not only the beauty of this magnificent event but also its power over us as a community. It is also a reminder of how small we are in the grand scheme of nature and how a community can transform a fragile moment into solid memories.