Editor-in-Chief Prepares her Goodbyes

April 5, 2024/Midnight 

With graduation just shy of 4 weeks away, I find myself thinking about my time here at Gannon University.  

If you had told me four years ago that I would be Editor-in-Chief and graduating from Gannon University I probably would have laughed.  

While I knew I loved to write, journalistic writing was something I had never considered until the spring semester of my sophomore year.  

After writing my first article, I fell in love with this style of writing and reporting.  

It is incredibly different from what I am used to, but I found myself being able to transition to it easily. 

It was then that I believe I found my calling, and after that moment I knew I wanted to be Editor of the Gannon Knight at some point during my time at Gannon.  

Little did I know that my senior year would be by far my favorite at The Gannon Knight. Between doing what I love (writing and editing) and working with others, being in this leadership position has taught me a lot.  

The editorial board and staff writers that we have had this academic year has been incredible and it is full of individuals who continue to strive to produce accurate well-informed articles.  

On top of The Gannon Knight, I have also been involved in Gannon’s literary magazine The Totem, the service sorority Gamma Sigma Sigma, the English International Honors Society Sigma Tau Delta and a student writing consultant at the Writing and Research Center.  

With all these extracurriculars and being a full-time student, I learned better time management and communication skills.  

When reflecting further on the last four years, I feel a sense of gratitude for everyone that I have crossed paths with. 

Though my time at Gannon has not always been the easiest, I would not change this experience for anything else, and feel incredibly grateful to have attended this university.  

I have learned something from every person, whether it be professors or friends, you all have taught me something valuable that I will carry with me forever.  

The English Department has brought me some of my closest friends and has been a consistent safe space for me to go to.  

I would like to take a moment to thank each and every one of my professors within the English Department. You all have been there for me countless times and always strive to help me when it is needed.  

I would like to thank Peg Watts, the advisor of The Gannon Knight, for her guidance and kinship these last two years. I will miss you a lot and promise to stay in contact after graduation.  

You have continued to be a safe space for me and have offered me guidance even when you did not know it. For that, I thank you immensely.  

While I feel sad to leave Gannon, I am looking forward to the new beginnings that are being presented to me and feel as though my last four years here have prepared me well for the real world.  

Go Knights!