What comes next for a senior in their last semester?

January 26, 2024/12a

Life has changed from remembering high school to reminiscing on the first years of college. Being a senior has brought up the highs and lows of getting through each semester with new knowledge.

Originally my goal at Gannon was to be a part of the physician assistant’s program and go into the medical field. As I went through my first year at Gannon, I quickly discovered that I wasn’t happy with that program.

Following my passion for reading I decided to jump into the English program. That is where I found my people here at Gannon.

Transitioning from the Biology department to the English Professional Writing was a challenge, but knowing a professor in the department made it easier to choose a new advisor. Mrs. Hayes had been my first-year seminar professor and she had made an impression. After working in transferring departments, I chose her as my advisor.

My English classes helped me find my niche and introduced me to Totem, Gannon’s award-winning literary art magazine, as well as the Gannon Knight, Gannon’s student newspaper. Now I am an editor for both students produced medias.

As you may be able to tell my transition to the English department was an immense help in finding my place while in school. The next step is where the uncertainty comes back.

As an English major I have learned that job opportunities once I graduate can cover a broad range of topics, fields, and positions. My first step to finding a job has been to talk with one of my professors who can help keep me on track and focused on my goal.

After our discussion I scheduled an appointment with the Career Development Center to help the search along. Preparing for the next steps in my life has caused self-reflection specifically about what I want to do, what I’m good at.

These investigations are meant to help find out more about myself, more about which direction I want to start my career in, and how to move forward in networking and more.

Gannon has provided many opportunities and with the help of my professors and career center employees I will certainly be able to start my journey in finding a job for after school.

For more information on how you can start your career or graduate school search, find appointments on Handshake for the Career Center.

Jillian Wells