Bike rack art project to infiltrate campus

The City of Erie is combining forces with the Erie Art Museum and the Downtown Partnership to create aesthetically pleasing bike racks around town and on Gannon’s urban campus.

The implementation of the bike racks will make Erie more biker-friendly and encourage bicycling for commuting and leisure purposes.

The way the bike racks look, is just as important as their function, and even the most subtle rack could provide a spark of pleasure, whether using it for a bike or simply passing by.

“Having been engaged in the arts for many years, I’m an advocate for anything that connects the arts to the community,” said Rebecca Styn, the marketing director for Medical Associations of Erie.

The Erie Art Museum requested $50,000 to maintain the design, production and installation of artist-designed bike racks throughout Erie. Any supplementary costs will be supported from local business and individual sponsorships, according to the budget portion within the National Endowment of the Arts document.

The plan is to have 100 bike racks constructed and installed by the city and various institutional partners.

Artists will design and build 25 of the bike racks at $1,500 apiece. The other 75 will be artist-designed for a $500 design fee but manufactured by a local company using laser metal cutting technology.

The arty bike racks will hopefully have the same pleasing impact on the community like the past animal art projects such as GoFish, from 2001, and LeapFrog, from 2004, but with a lasting, interactive purpose.

Some community members say that the art initiative is attractive and is already being welcomed by members of the area.

“It’s a good thing. It will give Erie a more upscale, cosmopolitan look that it needs.” Jim McMaster, owner of McMaster Builders.

Since Gannon’s campus is located in the heart of downtown Erie, it will be directly affected by the newly created art.

“From Gannon’s and Erie GAINS perspective, we are very excited to be part of the project,” Erie GAINS Director Shay Meinzer said.

Meinzer also said that the integration of the bike racks onto campus will help establish awareness and appreciation for art and fitness.

“Not only does the project engage the community in the arts, it directly ties into Erie GAINS quality of life focus while simultaneously promoting health and wellness across the community.”

THERESA PFISTER