Len Davis’s ‘Slices of Life’ Exhibition Unveiled at Gannon University.

Len Davis
The Len Davis exhibit.

Erie Pa., — As the semester progresses and finals approach within the next 2 months, many seek ways to decompress and recharge themselves with fresh inspiration. An exceptional opportunity presents itself in the form of an art exhibition. “Slices of Life” highlighting the artistic prowess of Los Angeles-based talent Len Davis, hosted by Gannon University and the Schuster Program of the Arts. 

The “Slices of Life” series offers a profound exploration of everyday human experiences, ranging from the complexities  love, jealousy, and sacrifice to environmental concerns. Through Davis’s works, visitors are invited to immerse themselves in narratives of hope and resilience, beautifully portrayed across a diverse array of mediums including large-scale paintings, assemblages, collages, and drawings. The show is a great opportunity for local art lovers and Gannon students to gather and reflect on the moving power of art. 

Len Davis was born and raised in West Philadelphia. He majored in Communications and minored in Visual Art at East Carolina University. After graduating, he moved to Los Angeles and worked as a freelance graphic designer and full-time production/studio artist at an ad agency. After leaving the busy schedule, Davis has fully focused on his artistic visions, crafting an extensive and diverse body of artwork. 

Reflecting on his path during an engaging artist talk at Gannon Waldron 219 on March 12, Davis shared insights gathered from his experiences.  

After leaving his former job at an ad agency, Davis started to build up his portfolio by submitting his works to several galleries and colleges. 

“I did a lot of cold calling because I did not know anyone and did not have connections,” Davis shares how he emerged into the art field. “It’s always been about how well the resume I’ve put together and how I present myself in email, and they like how I market myself.” 

As a newcomer, Davis has constantly sought out a variety of venues to get his work seen. One of them is renting his works to TV shows or magazines. 

“I wrote a hundred letters to a hundred different TV shows and guess how many responses I got back out of a hundred letters,” Davis remarks. “Three? No. One? Yes, and the TV show was Six Feet Under.” 

Despite facing numerous rejections, Davis’s persistence eventually bore fruit when three of his works were used for the shows.  

Throughout the session, Davis also shares several valuable pieces of advice not only to aspiring artists but to individuals across diverse fields. This includes the importance of self-promotion and investment in a competitive market.  

“You have to be the number one salesperson of what you do, visualize how and ways you invest in yourself, and work toward it,” Davis states.  

Davis advocated for embracing change as a crucial element for personal evolution, suggesting simple acts could stimulate fresh perspectives. 

“Reinvent your apartment or your dorm. Doing it every six months and I guarantee it would change the way you’re thinking,” Davis emphasizes how to refresh our mindset through simple solutions.  

When answering the question of why he chose art, Davis states: “Because we all have a story to tell.” For Davis, art functions as a medium that allows him to express a deeper layer of himself and the broader life. The “Slices of Life” exhibition is the embodiment of this idea, where multi-dimensional narratives are reflected through the composition of vibrant colors, diverse media, and the richness of textures. The exhibition is open to the public from February 13 to April 5, 2024, at Gannon’s Schuster Gallery, 700 Peach Street. For further information, click here