Wrestling sweeps AMI tri-meet

The Gannon University wrestling team traveled to Springfield, Mass. last weekend for a tri-meet with American International University and LIU Post. The Knights reigned victorious, posting back-to-back wins and proving themselves capable of defeating both teams in head-to-head competition.

In doing so, the Knights ranked fifth in NCAA Division II Super Region 1 and were able to improve their record to 4-1.

The Knights began their day with a lopsided 51-0 victory over American International University. In this dominating head-to-head matchup, the Knights recorded pins in three bouts via 165-pound Casey Pace, 174-pound Adam Greenman and heavyweight Nick Budd. Additionally, at the 125-pound weight class, Matt Turek won by a score of 19-4 securing a technical fall.

The Knights carried that momentum into their second match of the day against LIU Post with a 22-16 victory. The Knights won half of the bouts during this matchup, but were unable to capitalize with bonus points. Gannon secured extra points in several key matchups.

In the 125-pound weight class, Redshirt senior Turek pinned Tyler Walsh of LIU 1 minute and 24 seconds into the second period. Turek, who is ranked No. 2 in NCAA Division II and No. 1 in NCAA Division II Super Region 1, improved his record to 8-0 overall.

“I think I performed well; I made small mistakes but I was able to overcome them,” Turek said. He added that he didn’t realize the impact of the bonus points when he had secured a win via pin because he was the first to wrestle, but he said, “I was glad I was able to get six team points.”

At the 174-pound weight class, redshirt sophomore Andrew Wood defeated Corey Ashe by major decision with a score of 12-4.

“I knew the situation going into my match,” Wood said.

He said he knew that going for bonus points would potentially tie the team score and give the Knights momentum moving toward winning the dual meet.

“The kid was tough, but I out-wrestled him in positions which allowed me to score points needed and get the major decision,” Wood said. “I stuck to what I knew and put myself in positions I was comfortable with to give myself the opportunity to score.”

Wood improved his overall record to 4-2.

The overall score was tied going into the final match of the night where sophomore Budd, who is currently ranked fifth in the region, secured the second victory of the day for the Knights. Budd pinned James Loisen with 13 seconds left in the second period to improve his overall record to 18-8 overall.

“It felt pretty good to get the pin and secure the win for us,” Budd said.

He said he knew his victory was necessary for the team to win the match and added, “I was trying to just go out there and wrestle smart and not give up anything that would cost us the match.”

The match marked Budd’s fifth pin and 18th win of the season which leads the team in both regards.

The Knights wrestlers return to PSAC dual competition against East Stroudsburg at 11 a.m. Saturday in the Hammermill Center.

CHASE MANTINI