Knights drop first PSAC West game on home court

The Gannon University women’s basketball team had yet another streak snapped as the Knights find themselves in unfamiliar territory.

Gannonsports.com
(Gannonsports.com) Redshirt freshman forward Danielle Tucker (32) works the low post during the Knights' 80-71 loss to Ferris State University on Jan. 15. Tucker scored 17 points and registered seven rebounds in Gannon's 86-61 loss to California (Pa.) Saturday.

The Knights dropped both games last week, leading to an 8-7 overall and 1-3 in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference. The second loss marked the first time that Gannon had lost at home to a PSAC West opponent.

The first match pitted the Knights against Edinboro University. The game remained close throughout the first half, as Gannon shot 50 percent from the floor to trail the then 13-2 Fighting Scots 37-32.

Senior guard Amanda Dacek pitched in four of her career-high 20 points in an 8-0 Gannon run to tie the game at 42 with 12:37 left to play. For the next seven minutes, neither team would gain more than a two-point edge.

The Knights couldn’t push past the Fighting Scots, however, as Edinboro took the game 67-61.

While the road game proved exciting, the Hammermill didn’t act as the friendliest of confines for Gannon.

Taking on California (Pa.) University at home, the Knights saw their perfect home conference record snapped by the 12-4 Vulcans. After remaining close for the first 10 minutes of play, Gannon couldn’t contain the Cal offense, falling behind 42-29 after the first half.

The final 20 minutes featured more of the same, as the Vulcans shot 60.9 percent in the second half, and the Knights inevitably fell 86-61. Gannon, paced by junior guard Caitlyn Lowe’s 17 points, shot well with a 45.8 percent clip, but couldn’t keep up with a Cal squad that saw all five starters score in double digits.

After a dominating regular season last year, the Knights are facing a relatively new territory with after losing five of their last seven games. Senior guard Julie Kleber said that the rough stretch is disheartening, but losses are something every team needs to get past.

“It definitely stings no matter when we lose,” Kleber said. “It hurts everyone, but you’ve got to realize that you have to take the positives out of these games.”

Kleber said that the last two games are no exception.

“I think we showed a lot of grit to lose by single digits to a good Edinboro team,” Kleber said. “We could have done better, but now we’ll watch film and see what we can improve on.”

The Knights will look to end their current PSAC struggles as they host crosstown rivals Mercyhurst College at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Kleber said she looks forward to prospects of facing another PSAC opponent.

“In conference games, anyone can beat anyone,” Kleber said. “Those games are won by whoever wants it more. We just need to come out with fire.”

ALEX BIELER