Men’s wrestling win streak snapped; women lose to Tiffin

The Gannon University men’s wrestling team had a busy week, traveling to take on No. 11 Mercyhurst and No. 4 Pitt-Johnstown
The 21st-ranked Knights first traveled to Mercyhurst on Feb. 11 and claimed a 32-11 win.
Mercyhurst cut into an early Gannon lead with its first bout win, but the Knights stormed back with four straight bonus point wins to put it away.
The first two came with Dom Means finishing off a pin in the second period at 149, followed by Evan Fisler beating his opponent in the first to swing momentum back in favor for Gannon.
This match gave the Knights an opportunity to win a second Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference title as they traveled to Pitt-Johnstown Saturday.
But Gannon came up short, falling 21-10 to the fourth-ranked Mountain Cats.
Gannon began eating into an early Pitt-Johnstown lead with a major decision from Fisler at 157 pounds and an exciting decision from Alex Farenchak in a matchup of nationally ranked foes at 165 to make it 12-7.
But UPJ worked for close decisions in the next two bouts to keep the Knights from completing a comeback.
Freddie Nixon, ranked No. 5 at 197 pounds, was the only Gannon wrestler to win among the final four weight classes as the Knights finished their PSAC dual meet schedule with a 5-2 mark.
The loss also snapped Gannon’s five-match dual meet win streak, and now the Knights prepare for the postseason.
The first postseason stop will take place at the NCAA Super Region 1 Championships Feb. 29 at Mercyhurst. Wrestlers will be battling for berths in the NCAA Division II championships, which are set for March 13 in Sioux Falls, S.D.
Gannon’s B squad competed at the John Carroll University Open Sunday, and five Knights finished among the top four in their weight classes, led by Nicolas Marsico, who won the 165-pound class by going 4-0.
Others finishing in the top four were Liam Babauta, who went 3-1 to finish third at 141; Connor Sidoruk, who went 2-1 to finish third at 197; Jud Ramage, who went 1-2 to finish fourth at 197; and Brad Crislip, who broke even in four matches at 285 to wind up fourth.
The Gannon women’s wrestling team traveled to Tiffin Friday and, hampered by three forfeit losses, came away with a 36-6 loss.
The Knights were missing three of four recently crowned All-Americans. The Dragons were able to put all five of their All-Americans on the mat Friday, which also helped secure their win.
The Knight women will take part in their final dual and final regular-season event of the season Saturday as East Stroudsburg visits the Hammermill Center at 1 p.m.
Gannon will close out its season at the Women’s National Collegiate Championship March 6-7 in Adrian, Mich.

NICHOLAS POUCH