Men’s golf finishes 18th place

The Gannon University men’s golf team completed its sixth consecutive national postseason appearance with an 18th-place finish Wednesday afternoon at the NCAA Division II Atlantic/East Regional at The Resort at Glade Springs in Daniels, W.V.

A total of 20 teams and 108 players competed at the three-day event, which was hosted by the Mountain East Conference.

Billy Colbert paced the Knights as he recorded the best three-round score of his career to finish with a total of 225, nine shots over par and a 34th-place finish. He was followed by Matt Barto’s 232, which put him in 58th place.

Roberts Wesleyan of New York won the team title with a score of 293, two strokes better than Franklin Pierce of New Hampshire. Both teams qualified for the finals, set for May 21-25 in Muscle Shoals, Ala.

Also qualifying was Charleston, W. Va., and two individuals – Minwoo Park of Concordia College, N.Y., and Ryan Rucinski of Wilmington, Del.

Park shot a 68 in the final round to finish at 207, nine shots under par. Rucinski finished with a 213, 3-under par.

On the other hand, the final round did not go that well for the Knights, as they slipped one spot to 18th place.

Individually, Colbert shot 75-74-76-225, followed by Barto at 77-77-78-232, Mark Majewski at 77-82-77-236, Ethan Bennett at 79-78-81-238 and Michael Marsico at 80-79-84-243.

Majewski tied for 81st, Bennett tied for 86th and Marsico tied for 93rd.

Barto completed his senior campaign by shooting in the 70s during all 21 rounds. Majewski, Bennett and Marsico were competing in their first NCAA tournament and first 54-hole event of their collegiate careers.