Women’s water polo scores 20 goals but loses twice

The Gannon University women’s water polo team totaled 20 goals in its pair of road games over the weekend in Lexington, Va., but the Knights dropped both contests, 19-11 to Virginia Military Institute (VMI) and 14-9 to George Washington.
Liz Barr led the Gannon attack with four goals in the loss to VMI and also added three steals. Francesca Williamson totaled two goals, as did Alison Cooney and Campbell Ruh.
The Keydets took a 4-3 first-quarter lead and then widened it to 9-4 at halftime.
The Knights did score two goals in the third quarter; however, the Keydets went on a hot streak and ended the quarter with a lead of 16-6.
Gannon did outscore VMI 5-3 in the fourth quarter, but it wasn’t enough to avoid the loss.
Ruh had an outstanding game in the loss to George Washington, as she tallied a career-high five goals and added three steals.
Ruh scored the opening two goals to give the Knights the early 2-0 lead. George Washington took over, however, and scored the next six goals to end the first quarter with a lead of 6-2.
Williamson scored the only goal for the Knights in the second quarter, and Gannon was outscored 4-1 to go into halftime trailing 10-3.
Gannon did have an impressive third quarter, however. The Knights did not allow a goal in the quarter and received one goal each from Barr, Ruh and Williamson. The Knights finished out the third quarter trailing by just four, 10-6.
In the fourth quarter the Knights went on to add three more goals, but the Colonials kept pace to hold on for the win.
In addition to Ruh’s five goals, Gannon got three goals from Williamson and one from Barr.
The Knights will be off until heading to Lebanon, Ill., April 7-8 for the McKendree Invitational.
Gannon will face Monmouth in the first tournament game and then meet host McKendree later that day before taking on rival Mercyhurst Sunday.
The game against McKendree will be the Knights’ opening WWPA contest of the season.
The Knights are currently 4-7 on the season with a total of 224 goals so far.

NICHOLAS SORENSEN