Lacrosse splits first two games of 2018 season

The 2018 season is officially on for the Gannon University women’s lacrosse team, which has gotten off to a 1-1 start.
The Knights opened their season with a 21-6 victory over Palm Beach Atlantic University in West Palm Beach, Fla., on March 1 and then suffered a tough 17-16 overtime loss to Roberts Wesleyan on March 8 in Rochester, N.Y.
In the season-opening win over Palm Beach Atlantic, the Knights scored 15 goals in the first half — including four in the first five minutes — followed by six goals in the second half.
Gannon led in several key stats, including shots on goal, 30-13, fewer turnovers, 17-13, and more draw controls, 19-8.
The Knights gave up only two goals in the first half and sprinted to a 15-2 lead.
Senior Leilani King became the 17th Knight to record 200 career goals, as she racked up four goals and four assists to lead the offensive attack.
Freshman Jane Kostial added her first five career goals, which led all scorers in the game.
Erin Rotondo also recorded her second career hat trick with three goals and one assist.
Alexa Bower, Kat Martinelli and Maddie Krock also contributed two goals apiece to the victory. Kayla Shields, Micaela Capozzo and Brianna Murosky each chipped in with one goal.
Freshman goalie Erin Renwick made her debut, recording three saves and allowing six goals in over 60 minutes played.
In Thursday’s matchup with Roberts Wesleyan, Gannon saw the host team move out to a 3-0 lead and later the Redhawks widened their edge to 5-2.
Roberts Wesleyan owned an 11-7 lead at halftime and opened the scoring in the second half to build its biggest lead at 12-7.
But Gannon scored four straight goals to get within one at 12-11 and after yielding another score, the Knights answered with three straight goals to take the lead for the first time at 14-13 with 12 minutes, 12 seconds remaining.
The two teams would remain within a goal of each other the rest of regulation before Alyssa Maxwell netted the game-winning goal in overtime for Roberts Wesleyan.
The Redhawks outshot Gannon, 39-27, yet had two more turnovers than the Knights.
King once again came through for the Knights as well as Rotondo. The duo combined for 11 of the 17 goals, with King scoring six times and Rotondo netting five goals.
Bower also recorded a hat trick, tossing in three goals for Gannon. Additional goals were scored by Krock and Capozzo.
Finally, goalie Renwick played a total of 63 minutes, allowing 17 goals while making 12 saves.
The Knights will return to action at 1 p.m. Saturday on the road against Shippensburg in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference opener for both teams.

NICHOLAS SORENSEN