Swimming brings home third place

The Gannon University men’s swim team went into the annual Wooster Invitational in Wooster, Ohio, over the weekend hunting for a victory, and wound up third in the nine-team event.
The Knights posted a bevy of PSAC qualifying times in the three-day meet and had several outstanding individual and relay performances.
Coach Darren Suroviec said he and his staff are doing what they can to get the most out of their swimmers, but ultimately it’s out of their hands.
“The coaches provide the tools — it is the responsibility of the athletes to take forward steps,” Suroviec said.
In the first day of competition, the Knights put together a team effort in placing second in the 200-yard freestyle relay with a time of 1 minute, 24.28 seconds. Swimming on the 200 freestyle relay team were Michael Weiser, Matt Loughner, Allan Collins and Clark Eason.
Following that, Weiser also posted a second-place finish in his individual event, the 50 freestyle. Weiser posted a time of 21.35 seconds, which meets the PSAC qualifying standards for the conference championship meet, set for February.
A season-high 11 men’s swimmers qualified for the PSAC meet.
In Friday’s action, Collins posted a pair of PSAC qualifying times — one in the 200 freestyle at 1:44.88 and the other in the 100 breaststroke at 52.61 seconds.
Collins also took part in the Knights’ 800 freestyle relay team, which placed fourth among 17 teams with a time of 7:03.96. Also swimming on the 800 freestyle relay team were Drew Wolter, Parker Kilstrom and Thomas Marshall.
The relay team relied on each other and support from the entire team.
“I encourage the athletes to support and empower each other,” Suroviec said.
“My talks and words are insignificant compared to the actions and behaviors of the athletes in how they strengthen each other.”
Day 3 highlighted the work and effort the entire men’s team has produced all season. Seventeen individual men’s swimmers surpassed the times the PSAC requires to qualify for the conference championships.
Now that the team is over its mid-season hump, it is important for the swimmers to produce, but rest at the same time as well.
Suroviec said his message to his team members is “to believe in each other and themselves.”
“Thousands of factors may affect your performance, but nutrition and stress are two major factors that dedicated athletes can control,” Suroviec said.
Suroviec said he is excited to see his team continue to compete and see how much of its potential it can tap into going forward.
Cole Davis tapped into his potential by notching a second-place finish in the 200 butterfly, touching in at a time of 1:55.18. Davis was also a part of the men’s relay team that registered a second-place finish in the 400 freestyle relay with a time of 3:07.01.
The men’s team will be taking a break for the holidays and will be back in action on Jan. 14, at Canisius College for another meet.

KISHAN PATEL