Women swimmers place second at tri-meet

After a frustrating first day of the Erie Cup tri-meet Friday, the Gannon University women’s swim team used five first-place finishes to wind up second in the two-day event, held over the weekend at Allegheny College.
During Friday’s first session, two Knight swimmers posted PSAC qualifying times. Freshman Marissa Scott swam the 200-yard IM in 2 minutes, 17.96 seconds, and sophomore Courteney Hubert also qualified for PSACs in the 50 freestyle, finishing in 25.78 seconds.
Gannon sat in third place among the three teams after the first day of competition.
However, Hubert said that the team knew Friday wouldn’t be its best session because its best events were on Saturday.
“I had the opportunity along with my fellow teammates to swim events that we will be competing in at our midseason meet the first of December,” Hubert said.
The next day, with fire in their bellies, the Knights were able to bump themselves up one spot to take second place.
Edinboro won the meet with a two-day total of 606.5, Gannon trailed the Scots with a score of 579.5 and Allegheny came in third with a tally of 547.
The Knights also had eight swimmers qualify for PSACs and five first-place finishes Saturday.
Senior Abby Wu placed first in the 400 IM with a time of 4:49.11. Hubert placed first in the 100 and 200 freestyles with times of 55.44 and 2:03.54, respectively.
Senior Samantha Favret finished first in the 100 backstroke with a 1:00.77 effort and the team’s 400 freestyle relay quartet consisting of Hubert, Favret and freshmen Jillian Pritchard and Ashley Rega won the event with a time of 3:42.81.
All of the swimmers who placed first in the second day also earned a PSAC qualifying time in their respective events.
Hubert had a stellar showing over the two-day competition fueled by the drive to improve her times, qualify for PSACs and celebrate her birthday.
“My mentality the second day was that it was actually my birthday so I was already excited and ready to go for the day,” Hubert said.
“I saw how well I was seeded in my two individual events that morning that I was determined to not only improve my times but win the two events for myself and for my team.”
Hubert explained that she has high hopes for the team this season despite losing some key seniors after last year.
“I would like to see us finish in the top three at PSACS and get more of us on the podium finishing in the top eight individually at PSACs including myself,” Hubert said.
“We’ve been working very hard since the season started so I’m super-excited to see how well we will perform at our midseason meet in about two weeks.”
Up next, Gannon will head to Grove City for a one-day tri-meet with Case Western Reserve University and Grove City College at 1 p.m. Saturday.

BRANDON JACES