Fantasy football, sit or start?

It’s beautiful.  The leaves are changing color, a chill is creeping into the air and yes, football is back.  It’s a year full of new – new teams, new players, new expectations.  Chris Johnson is carrying the ball in a New York Jets jersey.  Devin Hester is weaving through defenses in black-and-red Falcons attire.  Gone are the outdated schemes of the Tampa-2 Defense in Minnesota.

And suddenly, we have a lot more work to do to figure out who’s who in the National Football League and who can win us a fantasy championship.  But my theory is still the same as it was last year:  always minimize risk, consistency is much better than volatility and statistics trump a well-known name any day of the week.  With that in mind, let’s get to my starts and sits for Week 2.

You’re starting him anyway, but I’d consider Aaron Rodgers a lock for at least 20 points this week against a Jets team that gave up two touchdowns to a rookie in Week 1.  I’d expect some discount double checking – if that even makes sense.

Ben Roethlisberger is an underrated starting fantasy quarterback in my eyes.  With Antonio Brown playing as well as ever and Markus Wheaton emerging, the Steelers should be able to pop the top off a vulnerable Ravens’ defense.

Thirty-four points isn’t too shabby for a RB.  That’s how many points the Falcons gave up last week, and their opposition Sunday is Giovanni Bernard.  And to be honest, I don’t mind putting backup RB Jeremy Hill in as a flex player.  This backfield will score some points.

This could backfire, but I like Justin Forsett this week.  With the release of Ray Rice, Forsett should (may/might/could) get the bulk of the work from here on out.  He’s nothing spectacular, but a good waiver-wire pickup if you’re in a pinch.

I really don’t know how you can’t start Antonio Brown – I’d consider him a top-5 WR for the foreseeable future.  Plus did you see that karate kick on the Browns’ punter?  Mr. Miyagi must have been proud.

I’m taking Emmanuel Sanders in all of my weekly fantasy leagues, and I suggest you do the same.  He was targeted nine times against the Colts.  Peyton Manning is going to slice this Kansas City defense apart, and Sanders will be a big part of that effort.

You’ll begin to realize I’m a Vikings fan very quickly, as evidenced by my bromance with Kyle Rudolph. The big man cut some weight this offseason, and looks as nimble as ever.

In a Norv Turner offense, the sky is the limit for a tight end; I expect him to get a number of targets this week.

The Buccaneers D/ST didn’t play too well in Week 1.  But have no fear, St. Louis and its abysmal offense is here!

The desperation lineup: Matt Cassel, Joique Bell, Justin Hunter, Austin Sefaris-Jenkins

I’m not saying I hate Russell Wilson, but I just don’t find him very appealing in terms of fantasy football.  He doesn’t air it out much (he doesn’t have to) and the Seahawks don’t get into shootouts too often. If you can trade him, you won’t regret it.

Jay Cutler will be facing a San Francisco defense that has a lot of momentum after making Tony Romo look silly last week.  I don’t like the matchup this week.

You could have started just about anyone other than Jamaal Charles and gotten just as many fantasy points (2).

Kansas City will fall behind early and after that, the Chiefs will have to push the ball downfield.  Don’t be surprised if Jamaal doesn’t bounce back this week.

Toby Gerhart didn’t impress anyone last week, and he’s facing a defense that didn’t allow a rushing TD last week.

I can’t justify Andre Johnson as an elite WR anymore.  He’s got sub-par talent at QB, a sub-par matchup against Oakland, and he should be taking a sub-par seat on your bench.

While Rob Gronkowski looked OK in his season debut, I don’t see him doing much against the new-look Minnesota defense.

He’s still recovering from ACL surgery, so don’t expect any “Gronking” in the end-zone this week.

The Panthers D/ST takes on a Lions team that looks very good on offense.  If Matt Stafford can utilize his weapons again (Megatron, Golden Tate, Reggie Bush, Joique Bell), the Panthers could end up with negative fantasy points.

ANTHONY WATSON