New residence hall fosters community

Gannon University Facebook

The dedication of South Hall, Gannon’s newest residence hall, was an opportunity for the Gannon and Erie communities to come together.

Charlize Harding, News Editor

The dedication of South Hall, Gannon’s newest residence hall, occurred Sept. 16.  

It began with speeches by Keith Taylor, Ph.D., the university’s president, Walter Iwanenko, Ph.D., provost and vice president for student experience, Ella Hammer, student and resident assistant, the Rev. Michael Kesicki, associate vice president of University Mission and Ministry and Paul Perrine, dean of student development and engagement. 

This project cost $11 million and was designed to help Gannon’s growing student body build community. The building has four floors and a kitchen and lounge on each floor. It also has a new laundry room. 

South Hall offers single or multi-student suites.  

Photography from students is featured on each floor as well as original artwork like the metal interpretation of the dogwood tree.” 

South Hall has a theme that represents assorted color palettes of the day. The first floor is a representation of nighttime colours and the fourth floor is a representation of the bright morning colors. 

Kiley Williams, resident assistant and sophomore biology major, and her roommate, Aubree Etling, sophomore physician assistant major, had their room featured during the dedication.  

“I had to make sure that my room was clean and presentable,” Williams said. “During the South Hall dedication, I just had to talk to people, and it was honestly nice. It was also cool to have the mayor, the bishop and Dr. Taylor in my room and have my room recorded for the news.” 

The bishop of the diocese of Erie performed the blessings of their room and South Hall.  

“It was not just a blessing for a room but for the whole building,” Williams said.  

Refreshments were available after the ceremony. Afterward, South Hall was officially dedicated. 

“The resident life staff and those who spoke cut the ribbon to finally unveil South Hall to the community,” Etling said. 

CHARLIZE HARDING