Spring sports carry on

And we are back! We had a solid week off and personally I felt it was well-deserved.
Now readers gather round because we might have been down south, out west, or in NYC.
Some of our Gannon’s sports teams, (coincidentally our classmates), were still playing or just starting their seasons.
First on the list is men’s swimming.
Four Gannon swimmers qualified for the NCAA Division II Championships, which start Wednesday at the Spire Institute in Geneva, Ohio, and run through Saturday.
At the forefront of this squad is Brent Benedict.
Benedict is a senior for the Knights; he transferred out of Division I Virginia Tech to swim for Gannon and since then he has broken records and taken names.
Benedict is a two-time All-American and just a beast of swimmer.
He will be swimming the 50 free, 100 free, 100 butterfly, and 200 free relay this week. Joining him on the relay team will be Andrew Mahoney, Clark Eason and Luke Engel. Benedict is seeded eighth in the 100 fly.
In men’s wrestling, the Knights managed to qualify eight wrestlers for this weekend’s NCAA Division II Championships, held in Sioux Falls, S.D. Competition gets under way Friday and wraps up Saturday.
Gannon qualifiers, and their weight classes, are Jacob Dunlop (125), Nick Young (141), Dominic Means (149), Evan Fisler (157), Alex Farenchak (165), Luigi Yates (174), Joel Leise (184) and Freddie Nixon (197). Dunlop, Means, Fisler, Farechak and Nixon all lost in the finals at the Super Region I Championships at Mercyhurst on Feb. 29, helping Gannon finish second as a team.
Make sure to congratulate your classmates for qualifying and wish them luck.
As always, GO KNIGHTS!

TOM SWICK