Gannon offers club sports for all

NCAA sports are a lot of work, as I discussed last week. But to get active at Gannon, you do not need to play one of these competitive sports. There are so many club teams that are not as time-consuming.
Some of the main NCAA sports also have club teams. These sports include lacrosse, soccer and volleyball, which all have men’s and women’s club teams.
Other popular sports such as tennis, men’s hockey and women’s dance are also available at the club level.
Other activities are more obscure, but Gannon still has these teams for people to partake in. Winter guard, Ultimate Frisbee, iron addicts, sailing, fishing and rugby are all active clubs.
For more information on these club teams, visit www.gannon.edu/Student-Life under the Recreation and Wellness Center tab.
One club sport that I want to dive into is rugby, which is coed. As a freshman, I was involved with rugby. Let me just tell you, I had no idea what I was doing until my experienced teammates taught me the game.
You don’t need any experience to play one of these sports, and rugby sounds very hardcore, but I promise that you can be any size and in any health condition in order to play.
The year that I played, my team won the Allegheny Rugby Union Fall 7’s Championship. We were an inexperienced team that learned how to play in a semester’s time and won it all.
If you are interested in rugby, practices are Mondays and Wednesdays from 8-10 p.m. at the Recreation and Wellness Center, or you can contact Anna Pitliangas at @[email protected] for more information.

BRITTANY METZLER