Job hunting is just like journalism

As my endeavors transition from that of a college student to that of a college graduate, I equate my job search to — or what it needs to be — a “Fast and Furious” movie — living one quarter-mile at a time. Or one job search at a time.
I must admit that in some ways it’s fun to job search, and as a journalism major with a business minor, there’s a lot I can do with that major, as my dad has told me — and he’s right.
It’s not just my particular major either; people can do a lot with whatever their major is because you never know where the job world might take you.
In the end, I would love to see myself bringing the world of sports or news to your television screen, even if you wouldn’t love it.
The job search or hunt, whichever word suits your mood, can be fun. Hear me out; in some ways it’s kind of like investigating or Facebook creeping.
You spend hours perusing the internet, searching for the right name to put on your cover letter and learning as much as you can about a company; us millennials are the perfect specimen for job searching.
The downside is that looking for employment takes time and in the past that meant picking up the classified section of a newspaper and mailing or bringing your cover letter, resume and portfolio to a potential employer.
As long as that is correct, we have it easier now. We don’t have to pay for stamps or gas to deliver our documents.
The internet has made it easier than ever to apply. With a few clicks of a mouse and keyboard — voila, you’ve just applied for a job. The biggest thing is keeping track of where you’ve applied and following up on your applications.
While the job search requires a lot of time and attention it’s sort of like journalism – at least to me it is. I am looking for sources, or people to network with, digging up information on the computer and writing – writing cover letters and updating my resume.
I had a good interaction with the kind souls over at the Student Success Center and they helped update my resume and make it one page, a length that is drilled into our heads by all those in hiring positions. They also helped me make my cover letter better.
One of the biggest takeaways I had was to personalize the salutation to someone at the company you applying to, whether that’s the vice president of human resources or the CEO. It’s important to do that because it shows you took some time to research their company.
It’s the small things that make a difference from the rest of the stack of resumes on their desk, so to speak. Recently I was told that employers aren’t looking for reasons to hire you — they’re looking for reasons to not hire you.
Errors on your resume or cover letter such as typos, putting the wrong company name or using the incorrect title of the position you are applying for can put you out of the race for a job.
In some ways job applications seem so easy, but in some ways it’s complicated. I still think putting your own personality into a resume or cover letter within a professional manner is important because it gives the employer a little glimpse of who you might be.
I could be wrong, though, because I’m new to this too, so good luck to all the fellow job hunters out there.

BRANDON JACES