• November 2GANNON UNIVERSITY'S EIGHTH PRESIDENT WALTER IWANENKO, JR., PH.D. INAUGURATION IS SEP 22

Good for U: Advising Day fast-approaches

At Gannon University, the Good for U initiative is a way of promoting wellness in and around our campus community and invites all students, staff and faculty to grow in their individual intellectual wellness whether that means in the classroom, at a work-study position or at an internship.
Intellectual wellness is the ability to open our minds to new ideas by pursuing opportunities that challenge us to be attentive problem solvers and explore the world around us. It is embracing the call to become a lifelong learner, and with Advising Day just around the corner on Wednesday, March 21, it encourages students to look for the best schedule for themselves for next semester.
This process allows students to choose the classes that they want at the times they want. Yes, it is possible to have your schedule changed, but for the most part, you get the class period you decide to take.
Each student has an adviser who is there to help him or her choose the best schedule while also preventing the student from having a heavy-loaded semester. There are no classes on Advising Day from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., so if you have a class after that time or at 4:30 p.m., it will still be held.
Students are encouraged to talk to not only their advisers but to older students in their major because they are the ones who have gone through the class before. The purpose of Advising Day is to help students achieve their ultimate goal, whether that is an associate degree, bachelor’s degree or master’s degree. No one knows that better than Emma Maxted, a junior business administration major.
“Advising Day in the past has helped me to touch base with my adviser, establish a schedule and achieve my graduation path,” Maxted said.
The course catalog, which displays all of the classes that are available next semester, is sorted by subjects so individual courses are easier for students to find. Academic evaluations, which can be located on my.gannon.edu, can also show students all the classes they need to be taking in order to complete the requirements for their degree. Students’ time slot for registration can be found there as well, on the student section under “Registration” in the “Registration information” section.
Advising Day is not just for students. It is also for the advisers to talk to their advisees and help them find the perfect balance between their school work and their life outside the classroom.
Advisers look forward to helping their students during this day, and Douglas King, Ph.D., an associate professor of English, said that “it’s a nice opportunity to see my advisees and help them through the course selection process.”

AMY BENKOVICH