WERG radio station is recipient of a $5,000 grant

Gannon University’s radio station, 90.5 WERG, received a $5,000 grant from the Pennsylvania Association of Broadcasters for outstanding excellence.

WERG is a student-operated broadcast radio and web-streaming station. For over four decades, WERG has provided a platform for students to create varied and unique content.

Chet LaPrice, operations manager for WERG, said the grant is offered annually through the Pennsylvania Association of Broadcasters (PAB).

The PAB has an educational fund and allows schools with a broadcast license to submit grant proposals of up to $5,000 per school.

LaPrice said he submit a proposal every year and in 2014 it was granted in full.

The weekend volunteer staff continues to produce various shows targeting Erie’s minority and ethnic communities. Specialty shows such as “Super Soul Saturday,” “Potencia Latina” and “Festa Italiana” have helped WERG create a diverse audience.

LaPrice said the PAB recognized the importance of this two-fold mission to our students and to our community when funding WERG.

LaPrice said they utilized the grant money to purchase a digital editing workstation from Wide Orbit.

Wide Orbit produces industry-standard digital broadcasting systems. WERG currently utilizes a Wide Orbit workstation in the main broadcast studio.

WERG has always been a “hands-on” experience—from the start of their freshmen year, students are responsible for day-to-day station operations.

“The addition of a digital production workstation will greatly enhance our ability to create, produce and edit shows for air on WERG,” LaPrice added.

“The timing of the grant approval, along with the national award, the renewing of our broadcast license and our relocation to the new Center for Communication and the Arts… it’s been a busy, busy year,” LaPrice said.

Samantha Trapp, a sophomore occupational therapy major at Gannon, said she is not surprised that Gannon received the grant.

“WERG is a nationally recognized station,” Trapp said.  “They need to maintain state-of-the-art equipment and with the grant, they can do that.”

“I love WERG,” Trapp added. “WERG helps me to discover new music and new artists that I may not have been familiar with before. I think it’s amazing that they have been able to accomplish so much.”

Michaela Haven, former co-program director for WERG and communication arts major, said she is ecstatic to see WERG get recognition.

“At WERG, we get real life experience with professional equipment,” Haven said. “You can’t get that at many universities.

“To me, this grant means we are finally receiving the recognition that we have worked so hard for.”

This past March, the station was invited to attend the annual Intercollegiate Broadcasting System Conference held in New York City, where it won the Abraham and Borst Award for Best College Station in the Nation.

“Many, many thanks to A.J. Miceli, Dr. Linda Fleming, Linda Wagner, and Gannon President Keith Taylor for believing in us,” LaPrice said.

“We invite you to tune-in over the air at 90.5-FM, or online at www.wergfm.com.  If you ever are interested in applying for an airshift, come and see us at 700 Peach.”

SAM GRISWOLD