Gannon stomped by Slippery Rock

The Gannon University lacrosse team was defeated by Slippery Rock University 18-7 Tuesday evening in Slippery Rock, Pa.

The Knights were led by freshman midfielder Ashley Mozingo and senior midfielder Kimberly Neagle with two goals each, but that was no match for the Rock’s potent attack. The loss moves Gannon to a 5-4 record this season.

Gannon’s junior defender Jess Kallenborn said everyone was off against the Rock, and noted that the team’s struggles lasted throughout the entire game.

The loss comes following a 15-9 victory over East Stroudsburg University Saturday, and a hard-fought 16-12 loss to Bloomsburg University Friday. Bloomsburg improved its record to 3-0 in Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference play following the win.

Kallenborn said the defense was consistent through both weekend games but the caliber of teams was very different.

“We had a rough first half against Bloomsburg but really stepped up in the second,” Kallenborn said. “Unfortunately during that game it wasn’t enough.

“The defense so far this year has played very well.”

Senior midfielder Stevie Lombardoni said the the team secured the win Saturday because they got back to playing its brand of lacrosse.

“If we would have played our game in the first half we would have beat Bloomsburg,” Lombardoni said. “The second half was how Gannon lacrosse is supposed to be played.

“If we played both halves like that then we would always come out on top.”

Lombardoni said that the team made some improvements to split the weekend’s contests.

“The biggest improvement we made to win over East Stroudsburg was winning the 50/50 balls,” Lombardoni said. “Without those it’s hard to win a game.

“We dominated the ground balls and draws.”

Kallenborn said a lot of the team’s success is due to the senior goalkeeper Margaret Maslyn and her ability to lead.

“Maslyn has really stepped up this year and has been strong for us in cage,” Kallenborn said. “She always finds a way to keep us in the game, whether with a big save or knowing what to say to pump us up.”

The Knights will attempt to start a win streak when they return home to take on Shippensburg University at 1 p.m. Sunday at Gannon University Field.

Kallenborn said the team will have to make some changes if they want to see some improvements this weekend.

“Before Sunday we hope to just come together and work out the little problems we had against Slippery Rock,” she said, “and continue to build our all- around performance.”

CONNOR SONDEL