GU Women’s Lacrosse opens season on the road 0-3.

Cody Exley
Gannon University women’s Lacrosse team makes their way to a victorious season.

Erie, Pa., March 3, 2024- The Golden Knights women’s lacrosse team opened their 2024 season with three back-to-back road games. All three games ended with a loss but left with accolades and close games. 

Gannon opened their season in Lakewood, New Jersey, on February 25 against Georgian Court University. After scoring the first goal of the matchup, Gannon fell behind trailing 2-5. However, The Knights rallied late in the first half to cut Georgian Court’s lead 3-5. Early in the third quarter graduate student Madyson Schwartz and sophomore Charlie Hunter scored unassisted goals, carrying the team to a tie. The tie didn’t last long, with Georgian Court scoring three straight goals leading 6-9. Junior Caroline Stevens and senior Macy Hepditch led yet another comeback with two goals from Stevens, and a closing goal from Hepditch landing Gannon 9-10 with less than ten minutes left in the game. The Georgian Court Lions won the game with a final score in the last 59 seconds of the game, sending Gannon back home with an 11-13 loss.  

Through the hard loss, Gannon can celebrate Hunter as she was named the PSAC West Women’s Lacrosse Defensive Athlete of the Week after her strong performance against Georgian Court. Hunter, the midfielder from Boston, New York caused three turnovers and four ground balls against the Lions, achieving a team best.  

Three days later in Rockville Centre, New York Gannon quickly fell behind with the Molloy Lions leading 5-0 within the first seven minutes of the matchup. The Golden Knights slowly held their own, scoring against the margin and landing 5-3 entering the second period. Hunter rampaged in the second quarter, answering an early Molloy goal with three straight goals.  

This could not prevent a last-minute Molly score leaving the Knights 7-6 entering the halftime. Stevens lit the field with two-in-a-row scores, tying the game 8-8 early in the third quarter. Hepditch added to the fire with an assist from Hunter, providing the first lead of the game for Gannon.  

Sophomore Angie George scored with less than six minutes left before the fourth, giving Gannon a satisfying 10-8 lead. Molloy’s Megan Rugolo, the 2023 East Coast Conference Player of the Year broke through Gannon’s containment and scored the final two decisive goals of the game, handing the Knights their second loss of the season after a hard fight. 

The Knights continued their losing streak, falling to the Bloomsburg Huskies at Bloomsburg, on March 2. The Huskies held too big of a deficit against the Knights causing their 3rd loss of the season 9-15.  

Stevens impressed through this game, leading Gannon in goal for her third straight game. Stevens had four draw controls, three ground balls, and two caused turnovers, tying her for the team lead with Hunter.  

The Golden Knights will host three games in a row at home, at McConnell Family Stadium. Gannon will face off against Daemen University first, on Tuesday, March 5 at 4. Following their game against Daemen, the Malone University pioneers, and Indiana University Pennsylvania Hawks will travel to Erie and kick off PSAC competition.