WQLN Challenges Gannon to donate

Locals tuned in to 91.3 WQLN from 6 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Wednesday for a friendly competition between the seven Erie colleges.

Erie’s public radio station and PBS affiliate, WQLN, hosted its annual fall fundraiser Wednesday at Gannon University in celebration of its 40th year on air. The College Challenge requires a year of preparation and fundraising, with the priceless gift of airtime as a reward to the participating local colleges.

Gannon, along with Pitt-Titusville, LECOM, Allegheny, Edinboro, Mercyhurst and Penn State Behrend, was visited by WQLN’s on-air talents for an annual “show and tell.”

Gannon showcased its globalization initiatives, new buildings, new programs and projects, honorable rankings, student accomplishments and many other university highlights.

Speaking on behalf of Erie-GAINS, Erika Ramalho kicked off the broadcast in the Waldron Campus Center by talking about Gannon’s service and St. Peter’s Elementary Center Professional Development and the Little Free Libraries initiative.

Following Ramalho, President Keith Taylor, Ph.D., spoke highly of Gannon’s numerous service hours, increased enrollment and international presence on campus, and the university’s rankings in comparison with other colleges.

Provost Carolynn Masters, Ph.D., and Steven Mauro, Ph.D., dean of the College of Health Professions and Sciences, discussed new programs on campus, including those that will be using the Human Performance Center, which is currently under construction.

Other professors, alumni and faculty filled the airtime with detailed and enthusiastic discussion on the new Communications and Forensic Science buildings, 2014 Scotland Fringe Festival, the Erie Chamber Orchestra, the College of Business and Engineering innovations, recreation center updates and campus ministry news.

The Rev. Shawn Clerkin was among the speakers and represented the Theatre and Communication Arts department alongside colleague and Professor Mary Carol Gensheimer.

Clerkin and Gensheimer shared much anticipated plans within the Gannon’s arts community as well as the 2014 International Collegiate Theatre Festival taking place in Scotland in August.

As a frequent listener, Clerkin commented on the overlying benefits of Wednesday’s WQLN broadcast, regardless of the competitive nature of the event. “Many of the listeners are the kinds of people who value the arts, that’s a natural connect for them, Clerkin said. “I am a listener and I value the local news. A lot of our (Gannon) grads are more likely to listen to WQLN, so it’s natural for them to turn to their collegiate connection. We were happy with sponsorships and money we were able to raise.”

Awards were given to two colleges at the end of the challenge, one for “Overall Money Raised” and one for “Most Improved.”

“Ultimately if we win or lose, everyone wins,” Clerkin said. “Public radio is not reliant on advertising dollars. Nonprofit public radio is sponsored by the members of the programs and we are always happy to support the station.”

ERIKA KRENN