Swimming team makes history at PSACs

This past weekend, Gannon University’s swim team traveled to Mechanicsburg, Pa., to participate in the PSAC’s swimming and diving championships, where it enjoyed an historic visit.

The women’s team finished third with 357 points, recording the best conference finish in the school’s history.

The men’s team rallied its way into fourth place with 433 points.

Nine school records were broken throughout the swims. Both the men’s 400 medley and 800 freestyle relay teams broke school records resulting in times of 3 minutes, 52.84 seconds and 6:52.76, respectively.

Additionally, the women’s team broke two relay school records. The 200 and 800 freestyle relay records indicated times of 1:35.79 and 7:49.91, respectively.

The women’s 200 freestyle relay placed second, barely being outtouched by Indiana University of Pennsylvania by two-one-hundredths of a second.

The four record-breaking relays all recorded NCAA “B” cuts. All in all, 29 “B” cuts were posted by the Gannon Knights.

Senior Christina Ruggiero said the team competed extremely well during the weekend.

“We swam our hearts out,” she said.

The teams will now await an invitation to the NCAA Division II meet held in Birmingham, Ala., March 6-10.

Several Gannon swimmers showed skill following the meet. Of the 17 Knights who posted top-eight finishes, eight were women, including Michelle Fischl (200 IM and 100 breaststroke), Katie Joseph (200 free, 100 breaststroke, and 100 freestyle), Amanda Knapp (200 IM), Morgan Lydic (100 freestyle), Emily Nottingham (50 freestyle), Madeline Summers, (200 backstroke), Katie Vincent (200 breaststroke) and Kelsey Williams (100 backstroke and 200 backstroke).

The nine men were Logan Bissell (400 IM and 200 breaststroke), Nathan Bean (100 butterfly and 100 freestyle), Ryan Carter (200 freestyle), Ethan Chase (100 butterfly and 200 butterfly) Adam Chrzanowski (200 freestyle, 100 backstroke, and 200 backstroke), Terrance Coughran (1,000 freestyle, 500 freestyle, and 200 freestyle), Michael Decsey (100 backstroke and 200 backstroke), Alex Dovale (200 IM, 400 IM, and 200 butterfly), and Michael Lawrence (1,650 freestyle).

Upon returning to Gannon, Lydic and Chrzanowski received Gannon Student Athlete of the Week awards.

Lydic posted “B” cuts in her two individual events, the 50 and 100 freestyle.  She also was a member of all five of the women’s relays, two of which,  broke school records and posted “B” cuts.

Chrzanowski finished all three of his events with a top-eight placing, posting “B” cut times in all of them. He was also a member of the recordbreaking 400 medley relay and 800 freestyle relay teams. Chrzanowski, like Lydic, was also a member of all five of the men’s relay teams.

Junior Charlene Lichota said the team did extremely well, yet aimed to do better.

“Even though things may not have gone as they would have liked, it was still a great meet,” Lichota said.

ZAK WESTFALL