Knightly News

Sign up for Day of Caring
Group sign-ups are now being accepted for Gannon University’s annual campus-wide Day of Caring. This year’s event will take place from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday, April 21.
The event is sponsored by the Center for Social Concerns and is hosted in collaboration with the Office of Service-Learning, Erie-GAINS and the United Way. All service projects will involve environmental or green initiatives with the majority of projects planned to reach the Erie-GAINS community.
Students can sign up for Day of Caring with any club, organization, athletic team, dormitory floor or any other student group in which they are a member.
Group sign-up forms are due by Tuesday, April 3, and are available in the Chaplain’s Office.

Provost candidates on campus
The Provost Search Committee has announced the next step in the process of selecting Gannon’s next Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs. The committee will hold on-campus open community meetings with three candidates.
Andrew Novobiliski, Ph.D., will be on campus 3 p.m. Friday in the Founders’ Room of Nash Library.
The interview for Carolynn Masters, Ph.D., will be held at 3 p.m. Monday, in the Board Room of Old Main.
Finally, members of the Gannon community can meet Timothy O’Rourke, Ph.D., at 3 p.m. Thursday, April 12, in the Board Room of Old Main.

G.U.T.S. tailgate parties this weekend
The Gannon University Team Spirit club will hold two tailgate parties this weekend. The first will be held at 5:30 p.m. Friday before the women’s lacrosse game against West Chester University.
The other will be held at 11:30 a.m. Saturday before the baseball game against Lock Haven University.
Both tailgating festivities will occur on the front lawn of Lubiak Hall, adjacent to Sassafras Street.
The events will feature free food, drinks and also the opportunity to win prizes for those in attendance.

Travel Overseas in 2013
Associate English Professor Douglas King, Ph.D, will lead two international tours in 2013.
For spring break, you can travel to Paris, Brittany and Normandy. For May, the destination is Japan.
An early enrollment discount is in place for those who sign up by the end of this month. All are welcome on these tour – sstudents, faculty, staff, family and friends.
Course credit will also be available. For information, contact King at [email protected].

Editor-in-chief applications
Applications are available for the position of editor-in-chief of The Gannon Knight for the 2012-2013 academic year. The form can be obtained by emailing Zack McDermott, current editor-in-chief, at [email protected]. Applications are due to Frank Garland, adviser of The Knight, in Palumbo 3229 no later than 5 p.m. Friday.
Afterward, The Gannon Knight adviser and the current editor-in-chief will arrange an interview with each candidate to discuss the written application in person and ask further questions.  Contact Garland at [email protected] with questions or call 814-871-5808 for further information.

English Awards Night
This year’s English Awards Night will be 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 18, in the Yehl Ballroom in the Waldron Campus Center. Several writers will be recognized and the 2012 edition of Totem will be available. Poet Aimee Nezhukumatathil will be the event’s guest poet.

If you would like to submit news tips to be featured in the Knightly News section, you may reach us by sending an email to [email protected] by 5 p.m. Sunday.