Finding God on Gannon’s campus

Sunday’s Gospel message is one that we would do well to hold close to our hearts.

Jesus tells us of a parable of a man who was on a journey and called together his servants to look after his possessions. The long of the story is that he gave talents to each of the servants according to their ability.

The end of the Gospel tells us the servants were called to account for what they had done with said possessions.

The first two servants, each given different amounts to care for, multiplied the gifts. The last servant, out of fear, hid the gift and did not try to allow the master to receive interest. The servant who did not allow for the gift to grow was banished.

So, the master rewards the two servants with greater responsibility with the joy of their master’s house.

We can say that the servant who hid the gift may be smart for not taking a risk in losing the master’s talent.   That is a thought that requires a deeper look.

The master is not concerned about losing the talents. The master says to the others that they shall share in the master’s joy; joy is the concern of the master.

The joy of the master in seeing the servants grow in the love of the Kingdom of Heaven, the joy that the master wants to share, is the risk required to use the gifts; the joy of the master is the commitment that he gives to the servants out of love, not out of fear, to be used for the entire community.

Using the gifts the Lord has given us in our everyday lives is a necessity if we wish to grow in our holiness and help others along their journey toward the Lord.

We all have been given gifts to share even when we have not asked for them.

Moses sure didn’t want to be a worker for the Lord, David was content on being a shepherd and countless saints have told our Lord, “Not me Lord, find someone else.”

I find myself saying that every day and have cried in prayer or Mass and asked, “Why me, Lord?” There must be another person that is more qualified and much more respected to carry this work.

There is a room in the Vatican that the newly elected pope goes to after being elected; it is named the crying room.  Why would the pope cry? The pope cries because he is now entrusted with the souls of the entire world, not just the Catholic Church –  the entire world.

So too are we entrusted with the care of others. The family we have, the friends we associate with and even those that persecute or dislike us.  These are the souls we are required to pray for, fast for and minister to by word and action.

There are going to be times when you will feel that you are not equipped to do the job.  Moses did not feel adequate. In fact, Moses was called by God after committing a murder and being on the run. That’s precisely why God called him; God knew his talents.

David, a poor example of a leader on the surface, was inexperienced when chosen. He was sinful with lust and had Uriah killed to cover up an adulterous affair.

David was chosen to be an example to the world of God’s power, not David’s power.  God consistently tells us to be humble and childlike to overcome the world.

The Gospel to us on Sunday is that we must use the gifts we have been given to build up God’s kingdom on earth.

“Give without counting the cost,” this is the master’s disposition.  The master is not concerned with the loss of a failed attempt, he is concerned that we try to grow and help others do the same so that we may one day enjoy his eternal joy.

May God grant us the fortitude to endure trial and persecution in our efforts to grow and to help others grow toward that eternal joy.

ROB LOPEZ