Knightly News

Pump-Kin-Run

Gannon University’s Exercise Science Club is hosting a 5K race Saturday to benefit the Hero Program. The second annual Pump-Kin-Run will begin and end in the parking lot of the Carneval Athletic Pavilion.

Participants in the race may choose to compete in the bench press portion of the event. After weigh-in, race participants will be given a set weight — variant on weight, age and gender — to bench press as many repetitions possible. Each successful repetition in the bench press will net the participant a deduction of 30 seconds from his or her race time.

Interested runners should fill out an entrance form and provide a $20 entry fee and turn it in to the front desk of CAP. Race entries will also be accepted on the day of the race. Registration begins 7:30 a.m. Saturday.

The weigh-in and optional bench press portion of the event will be held from 7:45-8:30 a.m. The race will start at 8:45 a.m.

Coffeehouse held by Sigma Tau Delta

Sigma Tau Delta, the English honors society, is sponsoring a coffeehouse at 7 p.m. Thursday at the One Green World Cafe.

The coffeehouse will begin with an open mic session, in which poetry, music and solo performances of one-act plays are appropriate.

Following the open mic session, Sigma Tau Delta will welcome George Looney, chair of the BFA in Creative Writing program at Penn State Behrend, along with several other accomplishments.

Sigma Tau Delta is dedicating this semester’s coffeehouse to Edgar Allan Poe.

Totem deadline approaching

Totem, Gannon’s premier creative writing and arts publication, is still accepting submissions from all students and faculty.

Participants should send their submissions to [email protected] no later than 5 p.m. Friday.

Totem accepts all entries of short fiction, poetry, artwork and photography.

Schuster Theatre to be haunted

Gannon’s theatre honors society, Alpha Psi Omega, is holding its third annual “Stage Fright” haunted theatre event from 8-11 p.m. Friday and Saturday, at the Schuster Theatre. Admission is $2 per person.

Totem Story correction

The Knight incorrectly reported that Totem had won a “first place with special merit award” from the American Scholastic Press Association for 16 years in a row. Totem won “first place” for 16 years. Six of those years, Totem won “first place with special merit.”

To submit news tips to be featured in the Knightly News section, please send an email to [email protected] by 5 p.m. Sunday.