Knightly News

Correction

The Gannon Knight incorrectly announced that there was one winner of the title of Mr. GU, as named in the Mr. and Miss GU contest. There was a tie for first-place; Mike Schnell was also crowned Mr. GU. The Knight regrets this error.

Gannon’s Totem seeking new staff

Totem, Gannon’s award-winning literary-art journal is now seeking editors and staff for the 2011-2012 academic year. If you’re interested or have questions, contact Berwyn Moore at 871-7504 or [email protected].

Change in Holocaust Lecture

The lecture still will be held at 7 p.m. Thursday in the Yehl Ballroom of the Waldron Campus Center. The speaker will be Dr. Sol Messinger, who is a Holocaust survivor. Messinger will take the place of the original speaker, Manya Friedman. Messinger was a passenger on the SS St. Louis, most notable for single voyage in 1939, on which her captain, Gustav Schroder, tried to find homes for nearly 1,000 German-Jewish refugees.

Editorial board applications available

Applications are available for students interested in serving on the Editorial Board of The Gannon Knight for the 2011-2012 school year. The form can be obtained by e-mailing Abby Badach, current editor-in-chief, at [email protected]. Applications are due Friday to Frank Garland, adviser of The Knight, in Palumbo 3229.

Positions for section editors and assistant section editors are available for the news, sports, features and arts and leisure sections. The Knight is also looking for copy editors, a photo coordinator, a Roundtable editor, a webmaster and a business and advertising manager. Scholarships are available for select positions. Contact The Knight staff at [email protected] for further information.

Pool closing until repairs are finished

The pool at the Carneval Athletic Pavilion (CAP) Recreation Center is closed until further notice.  A future portal announcement will be sent once repairs have been made and the pool is ready to be re-opened.

Relay for Life to hold ceremony

The Relay for Life committee will hold a pre-relay luminaria ceremony in the lower lounge of the Student Services building 7:30 p.m. Thursday. Pizza will be provided, and donations will be accepted. Relay for Life’s purpose is to support the fighters, admire the survivors, honor the taken and never give up hope.

Volleyball team to support children in Haiti

The Gannon women’s volleyball team will host a volunteer project from April 11-14. From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. each day in the University’s Waldron Campus Center, 124 West Seventh St., the Lady Knights will participate in a service/awareness project called “Haiti Street.” Haiti Street is designed to raise money and collect items for the children of Haiti. The team members will be collecting donations as well as items like shoes, sports balls and personal hygiene items. They also will be selling handmade bracelets.

Presidential search continues

An update from Rev. Nicholas Rouch on the status of the presidential search: The committee is very pleased with the progress of the search up to this point. The committee looks forward to speaking with a diverse and robust group of individuals during several days of interviews which will be held this week. The members of the Search Committee are committed to a process which will accomplish what is best for the niversity. More information will be shared at the appropriate time. Please continue to pray for all those involved in the interview and selection process.