Knightly News

Corrections

In last week’s issue of The Knight, we incorrectly printed Cate Felder’s name as Cate Felderman. The Knight regrets this error.

APB Executive Board applications available

Applications for executive board positions on the Activities Programming Board are now available at the front desk of the Waldron Campus Center. President Applications are due Friday, vice president applications are due Tuesday and chair Applications are due Friday.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. contest

Gannon is holding its fourth annual contest related to the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. The contest is open to undergraduate and graduate students. This year’s theme is “Remember! Celebrate! Act!”

Students may submit their works in any medium (photographs, posters, poems, paintings, essays, songs, weavings, sculptures, etc.) that illuminates some aspect of King’s legacy. Submissions will be judged on their originality and insight into the theme.

Three winning entries will be selected, and prizes will be awarded – $100 for first place, $75 for second and $50 for third.

The submission deadline is 5 p.m. Friday; submissions are to be made to Dr. Sara Lichtenwalter and can be e-mailed to [email protected] or sent to office in Room 1214 of the A.J. Palumbo Academic Center.

Volunteer opportunity available

The Pennsylvania Behavioral Health & Aging Coalition is seeking older adult volunteers for their Aging Coalition Trainers (ACT) program. Volunteers must be 60 or older.

The ACT Program is a new training project that trains older adult volunteers to provide information to other older adults in group settings. Information will include behavioral health concerns, substance abuse, suicide prevention and the knowledge of the availability of resources in the local community.

Training will be held on March 11 at the Stairways Behavioral Health Center, 2185 W. 8th St. Interested volunteers can call 717-649-0452.

University marks Catholic Colleges Observance Week with lecture

On Tuesday, Gannon will host a lecture on Blessed John Henry Cardinal Newman.

The lecture is free and open to the public and will begin at 7:30 p.m. in the Yehl Room.

The Rev. Nicholas Rouch, S.T.D., vicar for education for the Diocese of Erie, and Sister Kathleen Dietz, F.S.O., instructor, in the Gannon theology department, will present the lecture, which is part of Gannon’s celebration of Catholic Colleges Observance Week.

Newman was an important figure in England’s religious history.

Pizza with a Purpose

The Center for Social Concerns will sponsor Pizza With a Purpose: American Politics and the Need for Civility. The event will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 15, in the Yehl Ballroom. It will be hosted by David Kozak, Ph.D., professor of political science. RSVPs are preferred and can be sent to [email protected] or 814-871-7433.

University holds journalism contest

The journalism communications program is holding its annual journalism contest, open to all Gannon students. Submissions will fall under six categories: news, features, op-ed, reviews, sports and photo. Entries are due by noon on Friday, Feb. 25, in Frank Garland’s English department mailbox, Room 3227 of the A.J. Palumbo Academic Center.

Students may enter two articles per category. Entries must have published in a campus or professional medium between Feb. 27, 2010 and Feb. 25, 2011. Tape each entry to 8.5-by-11 white paper and print category, name of publication, date published, your name, major, year and phone number on the back of the paper.