Knightly News

University to hold annual Wellness Fair

Gannon University will hold its annual Wellness Fair 8 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 1.

Organizers of Gannon’s upcoming Wellness Fair said they hope the event drives home the importance of “numbers.”

Those numbers include important health indicators such as blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol and body mass index (BMI). Gannon faculty, staff and students will have an opportunity to measure where they stand in those areas and others during the Wellness Fair.

The fair will be held in the Yehl Room and will include more than 20 outside vendors. Some 300 students and employees attended last year’s event.

The fair is designed to help raise awareness of relevant health issues, differentiate between wellness “myths and facts” and reinforce to participants the importance of continually monitoring their numbers.

Vendors scheduled to participate include the Hamot Center for Healthy Living, Hamot Wellness Center, Whole Foods Co-op, Saint Vincent Health System, the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM), the Downtown YMCA and two local chiropractic offices.

Dr. Garibaldi to be honored

City Council will honor Dr. Garibaldi at 9 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 2 in Council Chambers at Erie City Hall, 626 State St. The Gannon community is invited to attend. In addition, Dr. Garibaldi will be honored on Thursday, Feb. 3 by the Youth Leadership Institute of Erie at a 7:30 a.m. breakfast at the Bel Aire-Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, 2800 West 8th St.

Dr. Martin Luther King contest

Gannon is holding its fourth annual contest related to the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King. The contest is open to undergraduate and graduate students. This year’s theme is “Remember! Celebrate! Act!” 

Students may submit their creative expression under any medium (photographs, posters, poems, paintings, essays, songs, weavings, sculptures, etc.) that illuminates some aspect Dr. King’s legacy. Submissions will be judged on their originality and insight into the theme.

Three winning entries will be selected, and prizes will be awarded — $100 for first, $75 for second, and $50 for third. The winners and runners-up may also receive an opportunity to display their work at a scheduled event to be determined.

The submission deadline is 5 p.m. Friday, Feb. 4; submissions are to be made to Dr. Sara Lichtenwalter and can be e-mailed to lichtenw002 or sent to her office in room 1214 of the A.J. Palumbo Academic Center.

Pink Zone game

The women’s basketball team will host its fourth annual Pink Zone game at the Hammermill Center at 1 p.m. Feb. 5 as the Lady Knights host Indiana (Pa.).

Admission is free to the women’s game and to the men’s game to follow between Gannon and IUP.

All money raised will benefit the Erie Unit of the American Cancer Society’s Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Fund. T-shirts, available in gray and pink, can be purchased for $13 each in the Waldron Center.

For more information on purchasing a shirt or making a donation, contact the Gannon women’s basketball office at 814-871-5811.