Women’s wrestling solid throughout NWCA Nationals

After a month-long break, the sixth-ranked Gannon University women’s wrestling team went back into action Jan 10-11 at the NWCA National Duals, held in Louisville, Ky.
The Knights posted a 3-2 record to wind up sixth among the 15 teams competing in the two-day event.
Gannon defeated No. 10 MacMurray, North Central, and No. 9 Augsburg.
The Knights’ two losses came against No. 3 King and No. 4 Emmanuel, with the latter loss coming in the battle for fifth place.
Gannon had little trouble with No. 10 MacMurray in the first round, winning 30-15.
After forfeiting the first two weights, the Knights allowed just five points the rest of the match.
Pins from Mikayla Vega and Caleeann Blarr got Gannon back in it early, and two more from Annabelle Helm and Amara Devericks late, followed by a tech from Kendall McGarity, capped the program’s first National Duals win in the championship bracket.
The Knights ran into a challenge going against No. 3 King in the quarterfinals, falling 37-6. Gannon’s only win came by forfeit.
The Tornado put six nationally ranked wrestlers on the mat, including three No. 1s, and picked up six bonus-point wins to push Gannon into the consolation bracket.
The Knights got back to work, and were never seriously threatened by North Central, winning 32-15, or No. 9 Augsburg, whom they defeated 35-11 to reach the final leg of the consolations.
McGarity proved to be a hammer at the end of matches, going 4-0 on the day with three dominant tech falls and a forfeit victory.
She was preceded by Helm and Devericks, who each went 3-1 and suffered their only loss against a fellow nationally ranked foe from King.
In the battle for fifth-place on Jan. 11, Gannon and Emmanuel went back and forth throughout the match, with Emmanuel earning a tech and a forfeit out of the gate before Vega picked up a fall 71 seconds into her match at 116 pounds to put the Knights back into it.
The Lions built their lead again with two more bonus-point wins to hit the midway point, but Gannon charged back. Gabrielle Malinowski and Helm each grabbed first-period falls to aid the cause. McGarity proved to be a hammer at the end of matches, going 4-0 on the day with three dominant tech falls and a forfeit victory.
The Lions built their lead again with two more bonus-point wins to hit the midway point, but Gannon charged back. Gabrielle Malinowski and Helm each grabbed first-period falls to aid the cause.
After Devericks picked up a forfeit win at 170, the score was tied at 21-21, leading into a matchup of ranked wrestlers at 191 to decide it.
McGarity got the opening point, but No. 7 Christina Santoyo caught her later in the period to wrap up the fall and seal the win for Emmanuel.
The Knights will now travel to WCWA Nationals Feb. 7-8 in Marietta, Georgia.