Men’s Water Polo season coming to an end

As the men’s water polo season is close to coming to a close, the Knights came out on top for the third straight year of winning the CWPA Championships last weekend in Salem, W. Va.
The Knights’ first matchup was against Mercyhurst University in which they won 16-14 in double overtime. In the second match, Gannon faced McKendree University in the highest scoring match of the weekend and came away with a 21-18 win.
Finally the championship of the weekend: The Gannon Knights vs. Salem Tigers. The Knights again won in overtime, this time by a final score of 14-13.
The Knights dominated the weekend and won several awards including Rookie of the Tournament and Goalie of the Tournament, which freshman goalie Jacob Hollo earned with his spectacular performance.
Knights’ head coach Shane Unger won Coach of the Tournament honors. And the Knights had four All-Tournament players: Drago Marjanovic, Anthony Squeglia, Jack Donnelly and Hollo. Marjanovic collected 10 goals, 10 assists and five steals while Squeglia finished with nine goals.
Gannon finished the regular season with a 15-2 record, with their two losses against Washington & Jefferson and Iona. The team has been on its A-game all season, averaging 17.38 goals per game and a .621 shooting percentage.
The Knights will take a week off before hosting the MAWPC-West Championships at the Hallman Aquatics Center Nov. 9-10.
Gannon will enter the tournament as the No. 1 seed and will play the winner of the Mercyhurst-Connecticut College game at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 9.
The Knights are hoping to compete in the MAWPC Championship and then the NCAA Opening Round.
And as always GO KNIGHTS!

TOM SWICK