Graduates excited for commencement

As another year culminates, some students are just finishing their first year of college and others are just a few final exams away from completing their final year of college at Gannon University.   

Gannon’s 2019 spring commencement ceremony will take place at 2 p.m. Saturday, May 11. The commencement ceremony is the highlight of the semester for the university community.   

To start their day, graduates, families and friends are invited to attend the Baccalaureate Mass. It will be held at 10 a.m. at Saint Peter Cathedral, located at 230 W. 10th St. Parking will be available in the GTE lot on the southeast corner of West 10th and Sassafras streets.  

The Mass is a celebration of the university community. This occasion provides a time to thank God for all that the graduates have accomplished, and for continued guidance in their future.  

Gannon will host a commencement reception in the Yehl Ballroom of the Waldron Campus Center from 11 a.m. until noon in honor of the graduates, families and fellow guests following the Baccalaureate Mass.  

After the reception, graduates will then be asked to proceed to Erie Insurance Arena to assemble in the lower level at 1 p.m. before the commencement ceremony begins at 2 p.m. Seating will be reserved on the main floor for the faculty, staff, graduates and special guests.  

While each graduate’s name is read during the ceremony, attendees are asked to remain seated ensuring that each graduate has the time to receive recognition.  

Professional photographers will be taking photos of each graduate, so family and friends are asked to refrain from approaching the stage to take pictures.  

After the recessional, when all graduates have left the commencement area, graduates and their families are welcome to return to the stage to take pictures. 

To be sure the ceremony remains a formal and respectful event, items such as food, cans, alcohol, balloons and beverages are not permitted during the ceremony by guests of graduates. 

Abigail Ritchie, a senior communication arts major, will be staying at Gannon to further her education after graduation by enrolling in the Master of Arts in Health Communication program.  

“I am excited to graduate alongside some of my closest friends and share in the celebration of our accomplishments,” Ritchie said. 

Molly Cooke, a senior theatre communication major, said that she is sad to be leaving her friends and journeying into the real world. 

“I’m definitely somewhat in denial that I’m even graduating,” Cooke said.  

“This has truly been the best four years and I can’t imagine not seeing my friends and faculty I’ve bonded with every day anymore.”  

There is a total of 726 degrees that will be awarded to students. For the ceremony, only 643 graduates will be walking at commencement. Of those 643 degrees, 11 will receive their associate degree, 406 will be receiving their bachelor’s, 171 will graduate with their master’s, three will receive their doctoral degree, four occupational therapy doctorate and 48 doctorate of physical therapy.  

For all events, tickets are not required, and seating is on a first-come, first-served basis. Accessible seating accommodations are available.  

More information on the spring commencement ceremony can be found at gannon.edu. 

VERONICA KOWALSKI