Award season continues with 25th Screen Actors Guild honors

Getty Images for Turner
WEST HOLLYWOOD, CA – DECEMBER 14: A Screen Actors Guild Award Statue is displayed during the 23rd Annual SAG Award Nominations Announcement at Silver Screen Theater on December 14, 2016 in West Hollywood, California. NUP_176104_0159.JPG (Photo by Mike Windle/Getty Images for Turner)

On Sunday the Screen Actors Guild hosted their 25th annual SAG awards.
The awards show honors artists from a variety of categories and genres through the past year. The Screen Actors Guild is an organization formed in the late 1930s created to preserve the rights of media artists.
In 2012, the organization combined with American Federation of Television and Radio Artists to make SAG AFTRA.
The organization says in their mission statement: “We are actors, announcers, broadcast journalists, dancers, dj’s, news writers, news directors, program hosts, puppeteers, recording artists, singers, stunt performers, voiceover artists and other media professionals.
Our work is seen and heard in theaters, on television and radio, sound recordings, the internet, games, mobile devices, home video: you see us and hear us on all media distribution platforms.
We are the faces and the voices that entertain and inform America and the world.”
The awards boast 13 categories in film, television and stunt. Taking home the award for top film was Marvel’s superhero action movie “Black Panther.”
The movie was released in early 2018 and quickly became a success, claiming the title of the highest grossing superhero movie of all time in the United States.
Additionally, the movie is nominated for best picture at the Academy Awards, which will take place Feb. 24.
Also nominated in the SAG’s top film category were “A Star is Born,” “Crazy Rich Asians,” “Bohemian Rhapsody” and “Blackkklansman.”
Among the other recipients in the film category were Glenn Close (“The Wife”), Rami Malek (“Bohemian Rhapsody”), Emily Blunt (“A Quiet Place”) and Mahershala Ali (“Green Book”).
In television, the top award of the night, for the second consecutive year, went to family drama “This is Us.” The show premiered in September 2016 and is on its third season. “This is Us” beat out nominees “The Americans,” “Better Call Saul,” “The Handmaid’s Tale” and “Ozark.”
The remaining winners in the television category include Sandra Oh (“Killing Eve”), Jason Bateman (“Ozark”), Rachel Brosnahan (“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”), Tony Shalhoub (“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”), Patricia Arquette (“Escape at Dannemora”) and Darren Criss (“The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story”).
In addition to the awards, the night was highlighted with moments of high fashion as well as remarkable and emotional acceptance speeches. Both nominees and recipients from the night may expect more accolades at the upcoming Academy Awards show.

KATIE HAMILTON