Gannon to host International Anatomy Conference

Gannon University and Chartered Professors, LLC announced a partnership Monday that will bring about 100 Italian medical school students and professors to Gannon this summer.

The guests will be welcomed as part of the Ninth Annual Professor Giovanni Mazzotti Anatomy Conference 2018.

The conference is set to be hosted from Saturday, July 14, through Monday, Aug. 6, on Gannon’s campus.

This conference, centered on human dissection, is the largest available of its kind worldwide.

Students from eight to 10 Italian medical schools will apply to take part in the conference. Those who are chosen to participate will complete exams before and after the conference to determine the effectiveness of the experience.

Sarah Ewing, Ph.D., dean of the Morosky College of Health Professions and Sciences, said in a press release that the college is honored to host the event.

“The curriculum of Gannon’s health professions programs is rooted in hands-on and experiential learning in clinical and community service settings,” Ewing said. “We are excited to share with the visiting international medical students, the same practical application our own students experience using the technology and equipment available in our laboratories to advance their education.”

During their stay, participants will also have access to the cadavers and gross anatomy laboratories in the Morosky Academic Center.

Along with the opportunity to participate in the conference, students will spend time in the Erie community gaining experiences that will make them global ambassadors.

HARLEE BOEHM