Schuster Gallery reception to be held Friday

LAUREN SOVISKY
staff writer

Art is known as the expression of the human imagination.
This art can take many forms, from everyday objects to material found in nature.
What creates art is up to the artist, but the symbol it represents is interpreted through the eyes of the critic.
The Schuster Gallery showcases the creative minds of the Erie Fiber Arts Guild in its newest exhibit.
The gallery’s season is part of the College of Humanities, Education and Social Sciences (CHESS) year-long series of “Surviving and Thriving in Uncertain Times.”
The gallery will uphold this season’s theme through its series of art exhibits, beginning with the Erie Fiber Arts Guild work in the Gallery’s exhibit of “Cut from the Same Cloth.”
Since 1998, artists from New York, Pennsylvania and Ohio have explored the opportunity of creating artwork by using material constructed from animal, vegetable or mineral origin.
This unique form of fibrous artwork includes pieces of needlework, felting, quilts, sculptures, surface design, wearable art and weaving.
The Schuster Gallery will hold this exhibit through Nov. 3, but hosts its Gallery Night at 7 p.m. Friday.
Continuing with its season, the Gallery will be holding works of both student and professional talent.
December begins the annual student photo competition, sponsored by Gannon’s Global Admissions and Outreach Office.
All Gannon students will have the opportunity to submit their digital photographs of their interpretation of this year’s CHESS theme.
Junior biomedical engineer major Olivia Rose noted her excitement for this year’s competition. “I submitted a photo of when I was in Lucerne, Switzerland,” said Rose.
Last year’s CHESS theme focused on the effects of climate change.
Rose’s picture did not place, but she does plan on trying again this year. “It was a lot of fun,” noted Rose. “I’ll probably submit another photo from my travels.”
January opens the “Art of the Spirit” exhibit, featuring the liturgical art of E.N. Rutkowski, 45 years after his death.
One of this Pennsylvania artist’s works can be seen in the stained glass windows of St. Alphonsus Church in Pittsburgh, where Rutkowski incorporated liturgical symbolism to honor St. Alphonsus and others.
To close out the season in April, there will be more works from Gannon students, faculty and alumni in “Gannon Arts: The Spirit of Gannon” exhibit.
In addition to the local artwork, viewers will get the opportunity to meet the artists at the ArtKnight reception on April 26.
Surviving and Thriving in Uncertain Times takes a hold on the Gallery’s season exhibits, creating a year of works on persevering through life’s challenges and learning from the adversities we all face at one time or another.
More information on upcoming exhibit dates can be found at http://www.gannon.edu/Visitors-and-Community/Area-Attractions/Schuster-Gallery/

LAUREN SOVISKY