CHESS series features events for all students

Gannon University has welcomed a new CHESS series featuring events for all students to attend and enjoy. The theme of this year-long series is “Surviving and Thriving in Uncertain Times.”
Linda Fleming, Ph.D., dean of the College of Humanities, Education and Social Sciences, said this year’s theme was chosen by a group of faculty and staff. The theme is a continuation of themes from previous years, as well as current issues.
“The committee felt that the theme was an important topic this year as a natural extension of previous themes coupled with the current events,” Fleming said.
Fleming said she hopes students will gain a new perspective from the series.
“The theme is about resiliency and how people can grow from the challenges they face,” Fleming said. “There is opportunity in adversity and I hope that students begin to see the challenges in their lives as opportunities.”
Hayley Woebse, a junior nursing major, said she appreciates the broadness of the events.
“I think it’s great that anyone, regardless of major, can enjoy the events being brought to campus this year because they cater to so many different interests,” Woebse said.
The series kicked off in August with an event titled “Responding to Adversity: TEDx Salon.” This presentation was sponsored by the Gannon Honors Program and featured Olivia Haile, a student from the Honors Program.
The film “Queen of the Sun: What Are the Bees Telling Us?” was the next event in the series.
Kathy Wyrosdick, director of the Erie County Planning Department, is hosting Erie Refocused. The talk will feature the city’s first comprehensive plan in 50 years and will address how Erie is taking steps to move forward. Erie Refocused will take place at 7 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 28, in the Yehl Ballroom of the Waldron Campus Center.
The series will continue with the production of “Heathers— The Musical.” There will be shows taking place at 8 p.m. Sept. 28-30, 2 p.m. Oct. 1 and 8 p.m. Oct. 5-7 in the Schuster Theatre.
Jerry McGill, the author of “Dear Marcus: A Letter to the Man Who Shot Me,” will be presenting to students at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 24, in the Hammermill Center. Students may listen to McGill’s story, as well as ask questions.
Fleming said she is most looking forward to this event because it is the first time Gannon has used a text to bring people together on campus.
The next event in the series will be held from 1-5:30 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 4, at the McDowell Intermediate High School Little Theater. The annual talk, “TED x Erie: Bridges Over Barriers,” will focus on bringing diverse groups of people together instead of tearing them apart. The event will include local speakers.
The film “Tidewater” will be shown at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 8, in Room 104 of the Zurn Science Center. The film focuses on the challenges of the rising sea level.
From Friday, Nov. 10, to Thursday, Jan. 25, The Christmas Show: Photo Competition will be available in the Schuster Gallery.
The series will conclude with productions of “A Doll’s House” by Henrik Ibsen. Shows will be held at 8 p.m. Nov. 30-Dec. 2, 2 p.m. Dec. 3 and 8 p.m. Dec. 7-9 in the Schuster Theatre.

HARLEE BOEHM