Gannon brings all-you-can-eat pizza to campus

Gannon University is set to host the eighth annual Ultimate Pizza Competition Tuesday.
The competition will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Yehl Ballroom of the Waldron Campus Center.
Multiple vendors will compete against one another to see who will receive the title of “Gannon’s Favorite Pizza 2016.”
The entrance fee is $5 to participate and 100 percent of the proceeds will help Gannon’s Class of 2016 raise money for its class gift. This year’s gift will support the Nash Library renovations, which include a café on the first floor.
All Gannon faculty, staff, students and the general public are invited to attend.
Currently, the participating vendors include Virgil’s Plate, Hungry Howie’s, Marco’s Pizza, Valerio’s Pizzeria, The Plymouth Tavern and Porky’s Pizza.
Once everyone has had the opportunity to taste all the pizza and submit their votes, the winner will be announced at the conclusion of the event.
The Gannon Student Government Association (SGA) president and senior SGA representatives coordinate the event each year under the guidance of Miranda Grom, director of the annual fund for academic excellence.
Grom said that an average of 175 students attend the event with last year’s attendance being the record high at 190.
The competition was originally a fundraiser for the senior class gift, but Grom said that it was popular so Gannon has been continuing the event.
Grom said that the vendors volunteer their time and give away free pizza to the students at no cost to Gannon.
Grom also said that a new thing this year is the creation of the four categories that vendors can compete in: cheese and pepperoni, veggie gluten-free, buffalo chicken and specialty.
Marco’s Pizza is the 2015 defending champion and hopes to win again this year. New this year is Valerio’s and the Plymouth Tavern.
“It is just really fun and [students will] get to learn more about the senior class gift,” Grom said.
She also said that for the first time ever, seniors who make a donation toward the class gift will receive a philanthropy cord that they can wear at graduation.
WERG FM, Gannon’s student-run radio station, will be doing a live remote from the event.
Chet LaPrice, operations manager for WERG, said that the station has been broadcasting live from the event for at least the past five years.
Adam Cevera, sophomore communication major and music director for WERG, said that he is excited to attend the event.
“I’m hoping I’ll be able to get in on the action and maybe help out with the broadcasting there,” he said. “Plus, you can’t pass up all-you-can-eat pizza.”
All students, faculty and staff are encouraged to attend the event and help out their senior classmates.
For more information regarding the event, call Miranda Grom at 814-871-5368 or email her at [email protected].

SAMANTHA GRISWOLD