Gannon falls to IUP

Week 10 of the PSAC football season is over and we are now three days away from where many people thought Gannon would be – the PSAC Championship game.

Instead, Gannon, which finished 3-4 in PSAC West play, will quietly end its season at East Stroudsburg and hopefully leave with a win and head back to the drawing board for next season.

Let’s take a look at Saturday’s PSAC title match that pits West Chester against defending champion Slippery Rock.

Scouting West Chester…West Chester’s win over East Stroudsburg Saturday, along with Shippensburg’s 51-27 loss to Kutztown, moved the Golden Rams into the PSAC Championship for the first time since 2008.

The Golden Rams have lost the last six times they have played for the conference title. The last time West Chester won the PSAC title was in 1971, when the Golden Rams routed Edinboro, 35-14. West Chester will rely on the arm of quarterback Pat Moriarty. Moriarty has 26 TD passes, ranking him third in the PSAC.

Scouting Slippery Rock… Slippery Rock is looking to repeat as champions after taking down Bloomsburg in last year’s title game. Coach George Mihalik won his 194th career game with Saturday’s 65-13 thrashing of Clarion. The win improved The Rock’s home winning streak to 15 and completed their third straight regular season undefeated at home. SRU won the West Division for the third consecutive year and 15th time in program history. Shamar Greene leads SRU with 1,015 rushing yards this season.

DOMINIC SANSONE