Linked by Pink unites Erie

Gannon University and Mercyhurst University joined together to hold the fifth annual Linked by Pink 5K Run, which was held Saturday.

This year’s race was held at Mercyhurst’s athletic center and was organized by students from Gannon’s Doctor of Physical Therapy Program and Mercyhurst’s Sports Medicine Student Association.

All proceeds benefited Linked by Pink, a local nonprofit organization. The organization serves Erie and the surrounding area and is dedicated to increasing awareness of breast cancer, especially in women under the age of 45.

The organization also holds support meetings each month and raises funds for local patients and their families.

Norma Zimmer, the co-founder of Linked by Pink, attended the race and said she was very happy with the attendance this year.

“We had a great morning this year and we thought the turnout was very good compared to last year,” Zimmer said.

“Each year the Gannon students organizing the program add something more to the race and I think it was great this year.”

Also added to the race this year was a 1 km walk for those who didn’t want to or couldn’t run. Prizes were awarded to the top three overall male and female finishers.

Michael Williamson, 22, won as the top finishing male with a total time of 17 minutes, 32 seconds. Veronica Bujdos, 21, won as the top finishing female with a total race time of 19:45.

The amount of money raised by this year’s race isn’t known yet, but the race has raised over $21,000 in the previous four years.

The money raised from this race will help to fund the organization’s medical grants and college scholarships.

“Linked by Pink means everything to me,” Zimmer said. “It’s my passion.

“When I was diagnosed in 2007, I was so afraid and I knew I just wanted to be able to give back and to let other women who were diagnosed know that there is life on the other side of this horrible disease.”

Steven Kane, a sophomore pre-physical therapy major, said he liked what Linked by Pink was dedicated to.

“I’m glad that the physical therapy department here at Gannon can play a role in helping out this cause,” Kane said.

Zimmer said she’s grateful for all the help and support with the race.

“The youngest woman to come into our group was diagnosed at 24,” Zimmer said.

“That’s the age of some of these graduate students. I think it’s a great way to raise awareness as well.”

SAMANTHA GRISWOLD