ECO announces plans for next season

The Erie Chamber Orchestra announces an exciting lineup for the 2015-16 season. The shows range from classical composer rock stars such as Dvorak, Puccini, Haydn, Stravinksy, Tchaikovsky and Debussy to an interesting modern concept that creates live film scores for audiences to enjoy.

Another feature for this season is that concerts are now more conveniently scheduled on Saturday nights rather than Fridays.

What sets this season apart from previous ones are two landmark events, one of which involves the November soloist and a violinist named Midori.

“Anytime you can have a single name, like Madonna – that’s huge,” ECO General Manager Steve Weiser said. “There are few names in the classical field that are recognizable – Midori is definitely one of those names.”

Midori is coming to perform for free, an impressive feat for the Erie Chamber Orchestra based on her level of experience. In addition her visit will be the world premiere of her pieces.

“It’s wonderful,” said Leah Johnson, sophomore social work major who has been playing violin since middle school. “When I was younger, professional musicians really impacted me. It encouraged me to keep practicing.

“This is an exciting occurance for me because I believe that seeing such a talented female artists will be empowering for the young women in the community,” Johnson said.

The biggest show of next year is “Psycho.” It’s taking the place of the Chaplin piece, “City in Lights” which the ECO performed in the 2014-15 season.

Hitchcock’s film will play, complete with live soundtrack – meaning the film will play without the soundtrack though the dialogue remains while the orchestra performs the score. It all takes place Halloween night in an original Warner Theatre, 811 State St., for free.

The film will be projected on a screen the length of the Warner stage while the ECO plays the soundtrack live. This will be the ECOs first performance at the historic Warner Theatre.

The Activities Programming Board is a partial sponsor of “Psycho.” This event is a community event, but what makes this special is that the ECO is reaching out to get students involved through APB. Gannon students are encouraged to come and watch the show from the seats specifically reserved just for them.

“I’ve seen the movie before, but I’m excited to see our own orchestra doing it,” said Katie Batten, a junior accounting major. Batten is currently taking an Art of Film course where she was required to watch “Psycho.”

“In the class we learned just how important the sound aspect is to the movie,” she said.

This season is perpetuating the ECO mission by continuing to offer free and one-of-a-kind events on a much higher level. In comparison to other orchestras, the ECO may be the only of its kind to offer such high-quality performances at no cost.

“Normally free music is a small orchestra playing music you haven’t really heard of,” Weiser said. “This – you could go anywhere else and pay $50-$60 to see these committee for the season pieces. Weiser said it starts with an email.

A lot of booking talent comes from simply reaching out.

Kraemer and Weiser use their connections with musicians from previous performances and friends to find soloists.

In addition to “Psycho” and a visit from Midori, the ECO season will include “Deep River,” “Adorations and Adaptations,” “A Family Christmas,” “Madame Butterfly” and “Jazz.”

This season is much more than the typical Mozart symphony. ECO is creating interesting and engaging ways to make a place for classical music in the present and future.

Last year ECO launched a mobile app. It houses concert dates, musicians’ bios, photographs and videos and is available on mobile phone and iPad.

However, ECO is rolling out a new updated app that will launch June 5 at the final performance of the 2014-15 season.

Find the full listing of ECO performances at facebook.com/eriechamberorchestra.

BRIANNA WOODS