Lil’ Sibs coming to Gannon

Gannon University’s Activities Programing Board (APB) is getting ready to hold its annual Lil’ Sibs weekend .

The Lil’ Sibs weekend occurs in the spring semester over a three- day span where APB encourages Gannon students to invite their younger siblings, ages 7 to 18, to join in on activities during a fun-filled weekend.

APB promotes this weekend as being a chance for the older sibling to share their new life with their younger brothers or sisters.

Julia Leix, APB Family chair, said on average there are usually 75 students and siblings who participate in the weekend-long event.

“We have a super fun weekend planned,” Leix said. “It’s such a rewarding experience to see families enjoy the campus and have fun making memories.”

Leix said as the Family Chair, she gets to organize and design the family weekend in September for families and then the Lil’ Sibs weekend in February.

“I enjoy working with everyone on our campus as well as community members,” Leix said.

This year, in addition to APB and its general board members helping out, the Fitcrew at the Recreation and Wellness Center will be assisting with the event on Friday night. Leix said the event will include glow-in-the-dark activities in the field house and glow yoga.

She said on Saturday they will also get the chance to go Splash Lagoon as well as the Yahn Planetarium at the Penn State Behrend.

Over the three-day period, students and their siblings will be able to choose from a variety of activities to participate in with the busy schedule prepared by APB.

Some of the events include a 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. Planet Space Dinner Friday at the Knight Club, a 1 p.m. showing of “Guardians of the Galaxy,” Saturday in Room 104 of the Zurn Science Center and a noon to 1:30 p.m. Gannon Spirit Brunch Sunday in the Yehl Ballroom in the Waldron Campus Center.

Sarah Bartkowiak, a junior advertising communication major, said she likes the idea of a Lil’ Sibs weekend and the events being held sound like something fun to do with a little brother or sister.

“Having a weekend to show your younger sibling what you do away from home is an interesting opportunity,” Bartkowiak said. “But, some people don’t have a little sibling or are the little sibling. I have a lot of friends who were addressed personally by Gannon to participate in the Lil’ Sibs weekend, but have no little sibling.

“They said it would have been a cool experience when their brother or sister was in college and it is great that Gannon is offering this opportunity to its students.”

For more information on Lil’ Sibs weekend contact Julia Leix at [email protected] or (412) 719- 0796.

BECKY HILKER