Gypsy: A Musical Fable – It strips, … and teases

Only three shows left of Gannon University’s production of Gypsy. Be sure to check it out! (GU)

December 8, 2023/12a

Based on the memoir of strip-tease artist Gypsy Rose Lee, ‘Gypsy: A Musical Fable,’ written by Arthur Laurents, has been revived several times. The Gannon Schuster Theater recently brought this classic musical to campus, and the production was nothing short of a fun, ironic, and boisterous performance with a dash of charming sensuality. Everything was produced and delivered by the talented cast and crew of the Gannon Schuster Theater.

In the early 1920s, Rose was driven to establish herself in the show business realm, not as a performer but as a manager who traveled across various cities with her children, including Dainty June and Louise.

As an ambitious mother, Rose pushed her children to the extreme, all in the pursuit of transforming her younger daughter, June, into a magnificent performer. Her relentless determination, reflected through her effort to keep her daughters and their supporting troupe in childlike attire well beyond their appropriate age, took a toll on everyone in Rose’s orbit.

Each time she encountered an obstacle, Rose drew back the motivation buried deep in her inner self.

While putting many stages and players in a confined space can spark a sense of claustrophobia, the Schuster Theater successfully delivered such a massive story.

Diana Harder, as Mama Rose, stole the spotlight as she portrayed a nuanced character with ease and natural charm. Mama Rose is charming yet manipulative and even pitiful with her pushy attitude toward everyone in her orbit. Harder flawlessly embodies the complex character, capturing the nuances of Rose’s ambition, determination, and vulnerability.

Her vocal performances were nothing short of splendid. The emotional depth in “Rose’s Turn” left the audience in awe, evoking both sympathy and astonishment for the character’s journey.

Stella M. Przybylinski, in the role of Louise/Gypsy Rose Lee, brought a unique charm and grace to the stage. Her journey from the shy, little Louise to the confident and glamorous Gypsy Rose Lee was both convincing and mesmerizing. Przybylinski’s transformations were a particular highlight, adding an extra layer of entertainment to the production.

The supporting cast, featuring a talented ensemble, played a crucial role in bringing the world of “Gypsy” to life. The chemistry between characters was profound, contributing to the overall authenticity of the narrative.

The choreography was well-executed, and the set design transported the audience seamlessly through different settings, enhancing the storytelling experience. The lighting and sound design were well-executed, enhancing the emotional beats and creating a captivating atmosphere throughout.

“Gypsy: A Musical Fable” at Gannon Schuster Theater succeeded not only in delivering an unforgettable theatrical experience but also in paying homage to the timeless themes of ambition, family, and self-discovery.

The combination of excellent performances, skilled direction, and technical prowess made this production a must-see for both theater enthusiasts and newcomers. The show demonstrates the power of live theater and the talent that resides within the local performing arts community.

Visit the Gannon Schuster Theater site for further information.