Rush week brings excitement to Gannon

Rush week brings excitement to Gannon

It’s that time of year again when Gannon University’s sororities start looking at prospective women to join their sisterhood. The official rushing of the sororities will begin Friday night during recruitment rounds and will conclude Sunday with preference rounds.

All women are invited to partake in the recruitment rounds being held in the classrooms of the A.J. Palumbo Academic Center, as long as they have completed at least 12 credits at Gannon or at another school with a cumulative grade point average of 2.500 or higher.

During the recruitment rounds, each woman is given an opportunity to meet the sisters from each of the five sororities on campus. Friday includes a series of 50-minute rotations with each sorority in the designated classroom.

Saturday will be when the women choose up to four sororities that they would like to see again and then each of the desired houses are visited later in the night. Concluding the night, the rushing women are to make a list of the top two sororities they would like to see again. The chapters will then make a list of the potentials they are going to invite back.

The last night of rushing for the sororities will be Sunday night. The aspirants will be given the opportunity to see a small glimpse into what life might be like as a sister in the sorority(s) they have chosen. Then, on Monday, chapters will hand out a bid to each potential that they have decided is a good fit for their group.

Alexis Wheeler, the Panhellenic vice president of recruitment for the past two years, said she believes most Gannon students could benefit from rushing Greek life.

“Even if you decide that Greek life is not for you, you can still gain something out of the experience,” Wheeler said. “Through rushing, you have broadened your knowledge of the activities that take place on your campus and the different people you might not have had an opportunity to meet otherwise.”

Wheeler said aside from meeting people at rush events, an understanding is developed of the benefits of fraternity and sorority life past any stereotypes. Rushing Greek life is about keeping an open mind and trying new things, even if the membership isn’t followed through, she said.

“Speaking for myself, being a fraternity woman has made me a more well-rounded person,” Wheeler said. “I know what I can accomplish and I know that I have a support system that wants to see me be a successful student, sister and member of our community.

“I have met my best friends and sisters through Greek life and I don’t know if I would have met them without it.”

All girls interested in rushing Greek life must have attended at least one of the two information sessions that were held throughout the week. Signups for rush are being held in the Waldron Campus Center from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday.

If there are any questions or concerns contact Lis Seibel, Panhellenic vice president of recruitment, at [email protected].

BECKY HILKER