WERG brings locals live 2014 election coverage

The 2014 elections began to change the landscape of leadership in Erie County, and Gannon University’s radio station, 90.5 WERG, was there every step of the way with live coverage Tuesday night.

WERG’s news director Erika Krenn said that the station’s reporting was necessary to keep the local community updated with the latest results.

“It shows that we care about what’s going on in the world and in Erie County,” Krenn said.

The elections were highlighted by the races for Pennsylvania governor and Representatives in Congress from the 3rd and 5th districts.

Tom Wolf, a Democrat, was elected as the governor of Pennsylvania over the Republican incumbent Tom Corbett. Wolf won with over 55 percent of popular vote.

Mike Kelly, a Republican, captured 59 percent of the vote to edge out Dan Lavallee and  maintain his spot as 3rd District representative in Congress.

Glenn Thompson, a Republican, defeated Kerith Taylor with 63 percent of the popular vote. All of these results were tallied according to the Associated Press at 11 p.m. Tuesday.

The radio station staff intended on educating listeners with minimal effort for a mainly youthful audience. Many Gannon students are experiencing their first election where they can finally play a role in deciding who will lead.

“It’s really important that we know what’s going on,” Krenn said. “I hope that this election will show them that it is important to get involved and vote.”

Krenn added that young citizens who didn’t register to vote can learn from this election process. She added that just because many students who attend Gannon are from out of state or out of town doesn’t mean that your vote will go unnoticed.

Absentee ballots are available for students who reside outside of Erie County, Krenn added.

“Voting gives a sense of responsibility in the community,” Krenn said.

Nationally, it appears that the Republicans will take the majority of the Senate for the remainder of President Obama’s time in office. According to the Associated Press at 11 p.m. Tuesday, The Republicans led 47-40.

CONNOR SONDEL