‘Anything Goes’ at the Warner

“Broadway in Erie” continues its stellar season with the popular musical “Anything Goes.” The show won the Tony for Best Musical Revival in 2011 and the tour makes stops in Erie Wednesday, just the second stop on its 3 ½-month American tour.

The show has been described as a “high seas high jinx” by broadwayinerie.com and features the story of Billy Crocker, a friend of Reno Sweeney, who works on the cruise ship they are currently on as a nightclub singer.

Crocker has stowed away on the ship with the hopes that he can find a way to get to his love interest, who goes by the name of Hope Harcourt.

The problem is Harcourt is engaged to be married to Lord Evelyn Oakleigh, a well-to-do traveling aboard the ship.

Over the course of the show, Sweeney joins forces with a gangster disguised as a minister and his sidekick. Together they win over Harcourt on behalf of Crocker by using “some elaborate disguises, tap-dancing sailors and good old-fashioned blackmail.”

The Rev. Shawn Clerkin, associate professor of theatre said “Anything Goes” is one of those golden age musicals that is extremely funny, with some very clever lyrics by Cole Porter.

“It’s not going to change your world, but it will put a smile on your face for a moment or two,” Clerkin said.

The cast for this show is top-notch, including such famous local names as Emma Stratton, who plays Reno Sweeney. Stratton has been seen in many shows around Pennsylvania, including “Rent,” “Kiss Me, Kate” and “Sweeney Todd.” Stratton graduated from the Pennsylvania State University with a bachelor’s in musical theater and is partaking in her first ever national tour.

Stratton is joined by Rachelle Rose Clark, who plays Hope Harcourt, as well as Brian Krinsky, who plays Billy Crocker. Krinsky graduated from Wagner College in New York, and has toured in shows like “Seven Brides for Seven Brothers” and “Seussical.” Clark graduated from University of California in Irvine, Calif.

She has been seen in shows like “Spring Awakening” and “Avenue Q.”

This show is under the direction and choreography of Kathleen Marshall, who has been in the creative process for shows like “Little Shop of Horrors,” “Grease” and “Nice Work If You Can Get It.” She is leading this diversified group under NETworks Performances, stationed out of Columbia, Md.

This performance shows incredible promise, especially following the success of “Jekyll and Hyde” in October.

Other shows on tap for the Broadway in Erie series include “Sister Act,” “Flashdance” and “Guys and Dolls.”

The show performs at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Warner Theater. It is a one night only show so be sure not to miss out.

TOM BARTON