Violent film shows traumas of war

The film begins with fighting and killing in Africa. It ends with fighting and killing in Germany. “Fury” has been to hell and back.

Filled with brown uniforms, gray skies and muddy roads, this film is blood, horror and agony at its peak.

If you thought “Saving Private Ryan” (1998) was a hellhole, wait until you see “Fury” (2014), a World War II film set in 1945.

It follows the crew of an M4 Sherman tank dubbed “Fury,” commanded by Sgt. Don “War-

daddy” Collier (Brad Pitt).

They’ve lost one of their squad, the assistant driver, who’s been replaced by Norman Ellison (Logan Lerman), a freshly enlisted former typist.

Wardaddy must turn him into a fearless soldier in an unbelievably short period of time.

“Ideals are peaceful. History is violent,” Wardaddy said. “We’re not here for right or wrong. We’re here to kill.”

“Fury” shows that war will turn even the most decent man into a ruthless monster. The images are horrific and exhume a pertinacious sense of authenticity and veracity into the eyes of all watching, searing their minds.

As the tanks pull through rock and mud, the viewer will be mesmerized.

They will be captivated by the horrors of war; wishing they could look away, but incapable of doing so.

Warning: this film is not for those who are unable to stare at death before their eyes, or thosewho can’t handle the physical and psychological trauma of war.

David Ayer’s directing focuses on the relationships of brothers-in-arms and the craving for camaraderie.

Part of apathetically arrogant Wardaddy’s crew are, Boyd “Bible” Swan (Shia LeBeouf), the gunner; Grady “Coon-Ass” Travis, (Jon Bernthal) the cannon loader; and Trini “Gordo” Garcia (Michael Peña), the driver.

Together, they must, as Wardaddy puts it, “kill or be killed.”

The atrocities of war are depicted in such a way the viewer will forget they’re in Hollywood; the viewer shall be teleported into the world of the 2nd Armored Division and live their struggles.

I was not expecting this.

This is one of the most vivid and memorable films I have ever seen.

I would recommend it to anyone interested in World War II, history and human psychology: the effect experiences such as war have on a soldier’s mind.

“Fury” is simply fascinating.

This historical film was well-conceived by Ayer and well-executed by the powerful cast of Pitt, LeBeouf and Lerman.

Each of these actors plays an intricate character that will be remembered in Hollywood history.

“Fury” is a war film that presents it the way it is, brutal, bloody, unsettling, unnerving — full of torture, sorrow and agony.

ROMAN DENISYUK