Beethoven shows off his athletic skills

Saturday’s annual “Beat Beethoven 5k” is a highly anticipated event for local runners.

Not only is it a fundraiser for the local nonprofit, but it’s a fun way to test your speed while enjoying classical music from the late Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

This is the fifth annual 5k hosted by the Erie Philharmonic. Starting at the historic Warner Theatre, runners follow a course through scenic downtown Erie.

Audio speakers are posted along the 3.2-mile course so that participants can listen to Beethoven’s famous Fifth Symphony during the race.

Runners try to beat not only the end of the symphony and the other participants, but also Beethoven himself.

Ludwig van Beethoven can be seen running the course with the rest of the participants.

In addition, any runners who cross the finish line before the end of the symphony get a special prize from the Philharmonic.

All ages and abilities are encouraged to participate in order to support the Erie Philharmonic.

In last year’s race, Erie native Andrew Nowak beat Beethoven and won overall with an astonishing final time of just 17 minutes, 26.2 seconds.

Sandie Sweet, also from Erie, won in the female open group with a time of 19:59.7.

Gannon was also represented in the race. Ann Kaspick, secretary at the new School of Communication and the Arts, finished fourth in the female 40-49 group.

Regarding the 5k, Kaspick said, “It’s really fun. It’s nice because it’s a break from most of the races, which are on the peninsula.”

“What I like about it is that they give you the entirety of Beethoven’s symphony to complete the race, which some people find is a more attainable goal,” Kaspick said.

She came in long before the end of Beethoven’s Fifth with a time of 25:59.1. The symphony is roughly 32 minutes of a melodic mixture of violin, piano and a smattering of percussive instruments.

The race begins at the Warner Theater at 9 a.m. Registration for the event can be completed online at www.eriephil.org/tickets-and-events/. Join hundreds runners from all around Erie in the race to beat Beethoven.

For more information call the Erie Philharmonic at 814-455-1375.

TOM BARTON